Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Jones Jr.
    Participant

Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

so did you walk al the way down to the rocks? thats a bloody long walk if having to carry gear!!!! yea the weather has turned capin kaiapoi now with some thunder and rain now

Sevengillz
    Participant

Hey,Anyone been to Kaikoura lately? I was told by a dude at work that the good swell they had gave the old (new) wharf a hammering and it wasnt holding up to good.Damaged it quite bad apparently.I didnt bother tryin to get too much info out of him as to me he doesnt seem to be a reliable source.Anyway I was planning on heading down next weekend for a Moki but if the wharfs that dammaged then I pressume it would be closed to the public.Has anyone else heard anything about this? Just want to make sure because the wharf is about the only place im interested in at the mo.

yellowfin
    Participant

you can get moki off thebeach in front of the rail way station as well just go near a patch of kelp of rocks. it wouldnt suprise me about the wharf when aarond and i were up there the odd wave would wet us and it was only a 1/2 m swell so a 6 or what ever it was would have hammered it

yellowfin
    Participant

The fiery ginga

Mal
    Participant

He’s talking about all the fish he has to carry on the way back!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Sevengillz

yellowfin
    Participant

My flatmate was up at kaikoura in the weekend, And went down the wharf both friday and saturday nights.
    Seen a whole variety of fish. Barracouta, Herrings, Red cod, Squid, small tarakihi, warehou, and moki. but he said friday there was fish all over the place and then saturday they just seemed to disappear.
    He also seen what he thought was either a big kahawai or a maybe a salmon. it kept coming through the light feeding on the herrings etc.
    Another thing he found weird was the couta wouldnt take anything.. from salmon ticers, bait and even a small livey under a float. He said they’d come look at it and then bugger off again..
    He got some moki on sabikis and his girlfriend foul hooked a takeable one on trout gear. Another guy got a conger as well.

With the variety of fish about we’re thinking we may head up for an overnight mission sometime..

Sevengillz
    Participant

Sounds like the wharfs all good then? may have to head down there myself over the weekend.Mind you some BIG kingi’s have turned up around French pass.And I mean big! A 40kg beauty was speared out there on monday.

yellowfin
    Participant

at least the sea should be calming down again after yesterday and the day before with 6m swell forecast

Miliwolf
    Participant

Sevengillz

Sevengillz
    Participant

I think anywhere around the pass would be good for Kingi’s.Obviously you could go further on a calm day.Ive always wanted to fish the Paddock rocks off the most western point of Durville.They look like a promising spot for most fish.Im trying to get hold of a picture of this 86lb kingi that got takin by a spear fisher at the pass on monday and apparently it got takin right out of the pass itself.I mean right in the channel.Also was told today there is a barge moored out of Picton or Shakespeare bay and the kingis have been hangin around that.I think the pass is on the cards for me this weekend or next.Mission = Catch a kingi or John Dory off the wharf on live bait. 8)

Miliwolf
    Participant

The paddock rocks look nice. But probably thrashed by people launching at okiwi bay.

If I were to paddle out I would probably hang around woodmands bay/Ngamuka bay area, maybe over to the small island north of Woodmansbay…. or maybe head to the eastern point of Elmslie Bay. The western point also looks nice, but would not paddle anywhere near the pass itself. I believe the current is faster then I can easily paddle…

I have caught Blue cod in the pass itself on softbait, and also caught a Snapper on a trout spinner casting it into the pass. Only fished this area once before.

There is a picture of a 36kg Kingfish speared somewhere in the sounds on another fishing forum. Diving in the pass itself is a fairly risking thing to attempt, you only have a few minutes at slack tide.

I am thinking plenty of burley from French pass wharf could produce.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Any idea how the sea’s looking down the coast at the moment? Might head down there in the morning and look for a shark.Been a while. 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.