Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

My mate with a nice rig taken at Taylors Mistake.

well i never knew there was rig at black rock were you using crab bait. i heard there was kingis been caught around that area on boats. what else did you catch there haven’t fished there in a long time. a nice 10lb rig yous caught which made it worth while i bet.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Nice rig there Mr Leeston! That caught today? Good stuff!

Got a 6kg grey boy (tope / school shark…sigh. Why can’t it just have one name? LOL) this afternoon a bit south of Birdlings. Biggest friggen thing I’ve caught off a beach in Canterbury so far! Put up a good fight and took line, all on a standard ledger rig would you believe. I had a hook trailing out the bottom below the sinker floating around if you like but it didn’t take that. Makes me want to go out and catch another, and another and another!! Will put up some pics soonish.

Cheers
    Aaron

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Here’s those pics.

Fighting the fish, although I was at the top of the upstroke here. Doesn’t look like it’s on, lol.

Fish pic 1

Fish pic 2

My first Greyboy! Was cool!!! Edit: I should say, my first ‘biggish’ Greyboy. I’ve caught little ones before but nothing substantial.

Cheers
    Aaron

LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

Hi rig was taken on mussel and squid. Kind of a big messy blob of bait :-)

Sevengillz
    Participant

Nice fish Aaron.Looks like a good eating size…did ya eat em? Ive near forgotten what it feels like to have a shark on! its been awhile since I been out.
    Oh and about the sharks names,Tope shark is the true name for them world wide,although it has 15 different names in common english! lucky we not using all of them! I just found out that the IUCN (worldwide conservation union has listed Tope as “vunerable” globally and “near threatened” in NZ! You wouldnt think so though would ya? with the numbers we catch them in! Anyway just some useless info.

yellowfin
    Participant

The beach looks quite calm in those photos. I’m wondering what its like at the moment, because its come up really windy here, and I was hoping to get out to Dorie this weekend. If your wanting more of those schoolies, give Dorie a go, because on a good day there will be schools of a lot of them around that size. Looks like its meant to be coming up Northwesterly on Sunday, but that might be a bit to late to be calming the sea down much. Should be ok for Monday afternoon though.

[quote:1kkgr8hx]I just found out that the IUCN (worldwide conservation union has listed Tope as “vunerable” globally and “near threatened” in NZ! You wouldnt think so though would ya? with the numbers we catch them in! Anyway just some useless info.

This Probably means we should start releasing any we catch, and instead targetting the fish that are around in bigger numbers. I’ve seen boats at the Timaru wharf come in with big numbers of small/undersize elephant fish and school sharks, so this can’t be doing much good for the population of them.

yellowfin
    Participant

whos that in the stubbies aaron?

Jones Jr.
    Participant

It’s my mate Luke, he also knows steve (Shark_tale) well. He was from CBHS (Chch Boys High). He looks pigeon toed or something in that pic! LOL. He has a kite to put out but we’ve only done it a few times and not got much so far. Next time!

Hey sevengills, yeah. I’ve eaten part of him so far! Was pretty dam good I thought! Although it’s the fist time I’ve gone about the process of filleting them etc and will know better for next time. I.E. you have to cut them up a certain way at the beach to avoid amonia getting into the meat. So yeah…. still tasted good tho.

Went down to the same beach today south of Birdlings but the swell was huge so didn’t attempt to fish. Went to Birdlings where we figured it would be calmer, it was. Went right up next to the cliffs and had a fish, was nice but got nothing. Some other guys got two moki, just using standard ledger (2 ounce sinker, 2 x 1/0 or 2/0 hooks) rigs and tuatua for bait. Managed to get my truck right down there, I wouldn’t attempt it unless you have a heafty 4WD with big tyres! My mate luke followed us and he got stuck where the outlet to lake forsyth would be in his toyota hilux ute. Got him out after a fair bit of digging but meant fishing time was limited a little!

Cheers
    Aaron

Miliwolf
    Participant

You were brave driving down that beach, my hilux almost got stuck there once and I did not venture far from the carpark.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

I was a bit uneasy about it at first but the truck seemed to get through it ok. I have a 1989 Nissan Patrol, re-sprayed matt black. It’s got a body lift around 2 inches or something and then a suspension lift to with big mud maxxis tyres or something like that. I bought it like that from the owner, I don’t know the exact specs. Maybe I could put up a photo at some point. So it’s up to the challenge!

Cheers
    Aaron

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just got back from the sounds, I was expecting it to be raining but the conditions were amazing. The main reason I drove out there was to search for something I lost friday night but could not find it. Did not have my kayak which annoyed me.

I took a drive around the QC road and the tourists driving at 30km a hour was a pain. They would of gotten a much better view if the pulled over and stop every so often. Luckily I had my surfcasters and a couple of SP rods with me. I stop at a little DOC campsite in the upper grove arm and fished for a hour or so. I did not have any real bait so used excude softplastics and gulp crabs instead.

Had a few bites, probably from herrings. Caught nothing before driving home via havelock. Never been up the grove arm before.

<><><><<><><><>>>

Nissians are not designed to go off road. They are to heavy and normally get stuck blocking tracks ect…

My hilux surf is fairly standard, I have slightly larger then normal tyres but that it. The good thing about the surf is that I can fit a 9ft fly rod inside it. I have never gotten it stuck, to scared to take it on very rough or soft ground.,

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to Birdlings today to target moki, wanted to get in before the surfcasting comp this weekend. Forgot my elastic so my bait wasnt staying on very well. Ended up with a couple nice sized Banded Wrasse. Havent taken much notice to these fish but I presume you can eat them. Did have a few big bites, I hoped there where moki :)

<a href="“>

When I arrived around 7am there wasnt to many shags about, but within an hour there was iterally a couple of thousand on the water, when this happened the fish stopped biting. When they left the bites picked up again.

<a href="“>

I ended up just siting there for half hour waiting for them to leave!

yellowfin
    Participant

you would have beenthere at the wrong time stevo into night would be better for moki as aarohn and i found also what did you use for bait? and what is that 2nd pic of?

yellowfin
    Participant

cancel that question i just licked on it to see what it was and it came up biggerall i saw was the white ring at first. i take it you were down the south end by the rocks? how did you get down there???

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.