Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

oh yea not too bad not the biggest but certianly not the smallest. what condition were they all in?

yellowfin
    Participant

all in good condition. no worms

yellowfin
    Participant

thats kewl then

yellowfin
    Participant

it ruins it the worms when u catch a nice size cod and then get a close up look to see it has worms although the last lot of cod i got at amberley were all clean and really fat

yellowfin
    Participant

the cod at timaru had heaps of crabs in their mouths and they were taking whole small yellow eyed mullet that we were using for bait

yellowfin
    Participant

just got back from fishing the mak got 5

yellowfin
    Participant

You’ve done better than me tonight HEAD.

Still, our night wasn’t too bad.

Got 6 or 7 dogfish, half of which were quite big. 70cm odd.

Also got 3 or 4 yellow eyed mullet, one of which was a fairly biggish one.

And got one nice clean red cod, and would you believe I was just trying to catch mullet on that little rod. I had it set up with a sabiki and tiny hooks with little pieces of mullet and kaiwhai for bait. Then wallop! Big cod bites! And managed to get the sucker in. On a little trout rod the cod put up a bit of a fight I’ll tell ya.

We got a few further good cod bites but no other hook ups.

Will put a few pics up tomorrow, they were’nt big huge fish (the mullet or the cod). But made the night fairly enjoyable.

Next we’ll try Timaru I think.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Of course this was from the main Akaroa wharf.

yellowfin
    Participant

well done aaron yea i know wat its like catching cod on a trout rod that what i caught a few on at kaikoura and its

yellowfin
    Participant

well done aaron yea i know wat its like catching cod on a trout rod that what i caught a few on at kaikoura and its

yellowfin
    Participant

apparently you can eat spiny dogfish as long as they are almost preped straight away

yellowfin
    Participant

im planning on heading to the pier for a try 2morrow night hope i can catch something

yellowfin
    Participant

Hopefully as winter sets in the cod will become more plentifull.

I’ve heard a saying that the salmon fishermen say “If the cod fishing is good then the salmon fishing should be good. Well, salmon fishing this season I understand to be a bit better this year (I don’t know how much better! lol. Then the past few years we can presume). So hopefully the cod fishing may be good this year.

Good on you to head, were you just using mullet for bait?

My friend got his big mullet on size 2/0 hooks baited with kaiwhai, put up a nice fight on his little rod.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

no i was using mussel tounges i hope to catch a few more

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve never thought the idea of eating spiny dogifsh was all that great for some reason, maybe it’s some stigma I’m stuck with?

Would like to go fishing tomorrow but got a friends 21st on! And am stuck with work for the next 7 days after that so will be a fair few days till I can get out again unfortunatley.

Hopefully you get something!

Cheers
    Aaron

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.