Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    storm
    Participant

thats the biggest one i have caught my mates caught a couple alot bigger

yellowfin
    Participant

Do you catch them all year round, or most in summer?

storm
    Participant

i reckon you would get them in the winter , but never tried

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone heard of whats being caught at the pier lately?

Sevengillz
    Participant

Spent yesterday down the Kaikoura wharf.It was a long day and in the end I come away with 2 45cm Blue Moki’s,several different members of the wrasse family and a bastard red cod(not the typical red cod we see)
    There was alot of baby Tarakihi being caught all under 10cm.
    The wrasse were 2 banded,1 green and a couple of spotties and there were all fairlie big so they went into the bait bin and hopefully will be going into a sharks mouth tomorrow if the weather isnt too bad.
    It was quite funny fishing amongst the foreigners because some of the fish caused quite a stir! When the Banded wrasse turned up I was being told they were Moki! A Green Wrasse I pulled up had a couple of people buzzing because they were determined it was a butterfish! In the end I gave up arguing. :grin:
    There was a slight sou-east breeze that didnt let up at all and the water was pretty dirty.So hopefully there will be a few more Moki next time.

yellowfin
    Participant

i know what u mean i got a few different wrasse there as well banded spotties one other type and also got a all pink one with no spots and it had a blue ring around its eye with like a few blue wavey lines comming out from ithat ring causght two of them werent totally sure on their name but have seen them on the new bfore i thought they were like emporer wrasse of something and the bastard red cod are gross things there is the northern bastard red and the southern along with the normal red

Sevengillz
    Participant

Hey TFG, those moki you and Jones jr got in Kaikoura,where you casting from the wharf or just dropping? The two I got came from between the piles on the end of the wharf under that light.

yellowfin
    Participant

casting about 2 m off the wharf so pretty much straight down you no doubt would have seen the thousands of small fish swimming on the surface???? they are all baby tarakihi

Sevengillz
    Participant

Nah mate thats what suprised me.There wasnt alot of activity at all just a few shoals of small herring.There were alot of small Tarakihi getting caught but they seem to be coming from close to the bottom.I went down there a few times in the winter and after dark when that light come on then the water seemed to be teeming witrh life.I remember seing Mullet,Garfish,Cudas,Tarakihi and the odd moki.Im guessing it was the conditions at the time.

yellowfin
    Participant

cause when aaron and i were there at night we could see the bigger moki swimming deeper but just below the surface was alive with small fish which were tarakihi

yellowfin
    Participant

reading the latest edition of nz fishing news it says that good humbers of kinigs have been seen off godley head and even off the pier

yellowfin
    Participant

I went for a fish at the Timaru Wharf today. Mainly to get more mullet for surfcasting bait. Only ended getting 5, but I also caught a baby salmon around the same size as the mullet I was getting. Saw a few big red cod getting caught as well.

zac grab some crabs for dorie great for rig and a majic bait if they are there one bait for rig and one bait for other fish. 5 herring will be plenty that way. well zac you are a very keen fishermen and i can see you will hook maui at the contest on sunday cant wait . i caught all my schoolies on squid today my herring was to old and mushy

at timaru i heard there are big salmon been caught do you see people with floats with pilles on them it works wonders for salmon .

Mal
    Participant

Can’t get rid of the noreast roll down here, good in the mornings but bloody work gets in the way!

yellowfin
    Participant

All the wind has been is northeasterlies it seems. I think the sea has been calming down a bit over night though. But there has been basicly no westerlies for ages now.

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.