Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant
    I’ve attached a drawing similer to the version I made. The picture is a bit out of proportion, because the wire bit on it is actually quite long allowing the bait to roll around on the ocean floor. Thats probably why I got so many carpet sharks on it since they mainly feed on the bottom.
    Sevengillz
    Participant

Sweet mate that will be the shit for sharks ay.I reckon as long as you can keep the bait on or near the bottom then shes allgood.Is the wire trace fixed or running?

Sevengillz
    Participant

jezdw

yellowfin
    Participant

Sevengillz

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to Bailyes (sp?) Beach last night for a few hours, caught a couple small school sharks.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Do you think a decent shark would quickly bait through a low breaking strain wire trace, something like 40lb.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Prob depends on were its hooked.If its deep in the mouth and the trace is rubbing on its teeth it might but still even with a low breaking strain its still wire so my guess is it would take longer to wear through.Id be more worried

Miliwolf
    Participant

I use 40lb nylon coated wire, but also have 100lb-ish Sure weld. I just do not like the colour of the sure-weld, probably would use it only for Night fishing.

When my 40lb runs out I would probably buy 60 or 80lb to replace it. I now use wire trace for all of my surfcasting.

All of the commercial ‘pre-made’ shark rigs use very heavy duty wire.

edit: Do you trust the melting feature of the Sure-Weld?, I just crimp mine.

yellowfin
    Participant

when you guys are saying bait on the bottom are you meaning the bait its self is actually sitting hard on the bottom? also about what size baits are you using seven to catch all you tope etc? i heard you were using a 10/0 hook but what about bait size in comparasion to say your hand?

yellowfin
    Participant

The shark rig I made up has the bait right on the bottom so it just rolls around in the current. The size of the bait shouldn’t be to much bigger than the hook.

yellowfin
    Participant

ok cause i got some 10/0 hooks today to use for sharks or anything larger when i goto kaikoura on wed

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve got 8/0 hooks on both my shark traces. BUt the bigger the hook the less likely you are to catch the smaller tope and doggies, but even tiny doggies will hook themselvs up in big 8/0 hooks. Also if you make up a trace that has the bait right on the bottom your best to make sure there isn’t many crabs around.

yellowfin
    Participant

zac

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Went fishing today south of Birdlings again, only got a school shark around 1.75 feet in length. Just a standard ledger rig with prawn for bait. Had a mate who put out a kite with the dying Northerly before the southerly hit. Got 5 fish, 2 biggish doggies and 2 smallish doggies which were put back, got a school shark around 2.3 feet in length which was ok. Just on squid.

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.