Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Nice one. I’m down Timaru way tomorrow so I might have a quick go, is this just off the beach near the harbour?

Or I could go to the Rangitata mouth and try for salmon until it gets dark and then try for sharks after that.

yellowfin
    Participant

most people bin catchin them on the in coming tide 2 hours before down round st andrews oposit the golf course or just on the way in to st andrews turn off cross the railway line n go down the cliff to the shore small crabs most bin usin but gettin plenty on the squid me self they catchin them day time too

Mal
    Participant

Are the eles still small?, anything else being caught up your way?

yellowfin
    Participant

not caught mutch else me sel some small got 2 4kg fish yesterday n one 6 kg fish the day before

so getting there

Mal
    Participant

Nothing wrong with 6kg mate, any idea how big they get?, I’ve heard stories of 40lb cows but havnt seen anything close to that size myself.

yellowfin
    Participant

as far as i now 120 cm is bout as big as they grow n bout 10 12 kg never herd of a 40lb that would be some fight the 6 kg one had plenty spirit in it

LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

Things have been very quiet at Coopers Lagoon and Tamutu. Well for me anyway best catch in the past 2 weekends was a few doggies.

Is anyone having any luck in these spots?

If so what time of day and what baits? I have tried squid, crabs, soft-baits, mullets and not a lot happening :(

yellowfin
    Participant

maybe try some bonito trev mackeral crays or prawns.

yellowfin
    Participant

LeestonSurfcaster

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to St Andrews last night and fished the incoming tide. Caught some crabs and small sharks early on. I used live clams, squid, and prawns for elephant fish but had no takers, so I decided to use one of my rods for shark catching.

Ended up getting a 5kg skate.

LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

Yeah i was thinking the same. I haven’t seen any trawlers but there were a number of seals in the surf and a dead one on the beach.

Is anyone having any luck around taylors mistake / boulder bay area / godley head area. I always wanted to try down by the old military installations (thru the tunnel) but its a long walk down if there are no fish :D

I will try any bait as long as it catches fish. (I remember catching herrings and mullet many years ago on chesedale cheese.)

St_Paul
    Participant

Was at baileys last weekend got

yellowfin
    Participant

What day were you there Paul?

LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

Ok I will play dumb here but where is Baileys beach? I see you guys posting about it but i can’t see it on any of my maps. Does it go by any other names?

yellowfin
    Participant

It’s on Kaitorete spit, the land mass that separates lake ellesmere from the sea. I think it’s about a 10km drive from Birdlings flat.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.