Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Jones Jr.
    Participant

Hi Zac, Kaiwhai at the pier today were of a nice big size. Not huge but a good sized kaiwhai. Perhaps the same or slightly smaller than my kaiwhai from Kaikoura.

There were no mullet about, although I suspect I got “mulletesh” type bites at one point but that’s it. Surprisingly not one dogfish seen.

Hey Wiz, the kaiapoi river seems to be a mullet hot spot. Or the mouth of the Waimak river. Just fish the Kaiapoi anywhere south of the main bridge that goes through town, try find a quite spot and chuck your line in. Closer to Chch I’ve seen good catches of nice sized mullet in the Avon river between say where Wainoni Rd and the Pages Rd bridges are. I haven’t fished there in a while tho.

Cheers

St_Paul
    Participant

Hey Wiz,

birdlings flat and baileys beach are worth a crack. Take the road to akaroa and turn off at the signpost (about 30 mins drive). Have caught seven gill sharks, school sharks, rig, elephant fish, kahawai, red cod, skate and electric rays here. You can buy a map with canterbury surfcasting locations from rebel sport that has a few more options too. They are called spot x maps.

Nice to hear the Kahawai are about off the pier, usually means they will be about off the southern beaches too. Might have to have a crack out at baileys beach next weekend depending on weather and tides.

gunnercoops
    Participant

Hi..I have tried Birdlings a few times, done ok there. Where is Baileys beach?

Thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

Went fishing, Saturday at sumner only got a doggie, 60-70cm i guess in length and I got it on chicken hearts aswell! :) Then went to pier yesterday, nothing biting other than crabs. Aaron, greg and

St_Paul
    Participant

Baileys beach is the beach at the end of the kaitoreti spit road, instead of going around the left to birdlings you go over the cattle stops and continue on down the gravel road to the car park. the beach is accessible by 4wd or a short walk.

yellowfin
    Participant

Shark_Tale

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Well I didn’t get the oppertunity to feel bored from fishing as I hardly got to go when I was a kid. LOL

Cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

HookLineSinker

yellowfin
    Participant

Amberly beach is the best place I have had for mullet, biggest being 38cm,

yellowfin
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

HookLineSinker

yellowfin
    Participant

Somtimes it is quite busy. If you go later at night there arn’t usually as many people and all the asian people have usually left. I havn’t really fished in that many places north of Christchurch so I don’t really know any other places you could try.

yellowfin
    Participant

i lot of the beaches to the north of chch are al to shallow for surfcasting. you could walk out

yellowfin
    Participant

Jones Jr.

yellowfin
    Participant

zac

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.