Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

I think that the Abu 7000 would be the most used in the South Island since a lot of people use it for salmon fishing. [color=black]Daiwa &

yellowfin
    Participant

that pic is actually a spiney/spikey dogg the spotted dogg is another name

yellowfin
    Participant

Spiny dogfish.The true name for a rig is Spotted Smooth Hound.I think its the only true dogfish we get.Or the only true toothless dogfish or something like that. :?

yellowfin
    Participant

cause i think i saw on anoter website the spotted dog fish is also galled spooted smooth hound and gummy b ut if you lookat the pics they

yellowfin
    Participant

Thought I’d post this here to as a latest catches article, comments can go in the Kaikoura surfcasting trip thread.

This was a great trip and a first for me in terms of getting a decent fish surfcasting! I’ve caught the odd doggie before surfcasting and that’s what put me off it for a little while there. But Kaikoura produced the goods and according to Greg (HEAD) and his dad the fishing was only moderate and better days can be had. The Salmon caught by Booger was certainly cool though!

First went to South Bay and started fishing around 11:45am, left there about 1pm or maybe 1:30pm after no fish had been caught. Not even any bites! Mind you the tide was very low only just coming back in, with these steeply shelved beaches one would think it might not matter as much but yeah……. Grabbed some lunch and went to the old railway station and fished there.

“>

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a fish n the kaiapoi and the waimak mouth

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Went for a stroll down to the beach this avo, with the partner and daughter to tag along. Anyway had some pleasing results for this time of year. Caught two good sized skates 4kg and 6kg a couple of small school sharks and most pleasing of all a nice fat rig to take home; so members this might be a indicator that there is fish out there to be caught go out there and find!!!

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Good catches there HookLineSinker! Hopefully the fish are coming back from the winter cold.

Me and Greg had a good time visiting the mouth of the Waimak and the Kaiapoi river today catching mullet. I didn’t really believe this catching mullet on 2/0 hooks etc, and these huge mullet. However, I think I’ve changed my mind after todays trip. When I first arrived at the Waimak what do I see but Greg pulling in a nice sized mullet and he caught it on a 3/0 hook intended for Kaiwhai! LOL. Who would’ve thought eh! I didn’t get anything at the mouth of the Waimak so we went to the Kaiapoi.

I got 3 nice big mullet, heaps enough for bait. Got my biggest mullet to date to! It wasn’t a 1kg monster but it was big! Will enter it in the mullet chanps to kick things off. One of the mullet I caught was on a 2/0 black magic hook! LOL.

And as Greg said he got a fresh water cray surprisingly, tucked inside a bottle his hook got caught into when he was winding his line in.

“>

Nice mullet caught on 2/0 black magic hook, it hooked onto the fish exactly as you see here.

“>

My big mullet! Next to a 600ml Coke Bottle. I caught this one on a smaller more typical sprat sized hook.

“>

Greg’s freshwater cray on top of a bucket lid. Greg also got alot of mullet today.

I always seem to make an essay out of each fishing trip, oh well. Something to do eh? :) LOL

Cheers
    Jones Jr.

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a fish at the pier today with aaron saw half a dozen good sized kaiwhai hooked and only 3 landed

yellowfin
    Participant

How big were the Kahawai? Were there many mullet around?

yellowfin
    Participant

Went down to Sumner again this avo for the high tide.

yellowfin
    Participant

Why do you not want to go to the pier?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

From what i know i reckon Amberly would be a good try i caught a 3kg plus Kahawai there once, the biggest ive caught and absolutely surprised me!

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.