Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Anybody been fishing at the pier in the last week? I am planning on going for a fish at the pier on monday. Also about the article i read that says they are restricting fishing from the pier, it dosen’t say when so i was wondering if anything has been done about this yet? Also if the weather is good tomorow i will go down to timaru and see if i can get a few cod and maybe some more yellow eyed mullet for bait if they are still around.

yellowfin
    Participant

I don’t think they’ve decided on what times to

yellowfin
    Participant

The Kahawai and yellow eyed mullet seem to start coming back around late Spring and most the other species start being caught around either late November or early December.

yellowfin
    Participant

I went out to the pier tonight but there was only one guy there. The guy that was there hadn’t caught anything so i didn’t think it was worth going fishing. This year dosn’t seem to be very good for cod. I went to timaru Yesterday and didnt even get a single bite, not even any dogfish. I can’t even think of i time i have been fishing and not caught a single thing.

yellowfin
    Participant

All my surf gear has been cleaned down and packed away for the winter, will start again around october. Have been chasing trout instead and had some good catches.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was thinking of trying trout fishing too, but don’t know if it’d be worthwhile paying $55 for a winter licence for the remaining

yellowfin
    Participant

I do quite a bit of Trout fishing.

Personally I would not get a licence just for the three remaining winter months. The trout are more interested in Spawning then feeding at this time of year.

By the start of the season they should have started to feed on Whitebait down near the sea.

It is possible to use light spinning equipment. I like to use 6lb line or braid.

It is possible to cast a fly on spinning gear. You really need to use Split shot to add weight or a clear plastic bubble. The book ‘Spin fishing for trout’ by tony orman is a good read.

Fishing with a Fly rod is excellent when you are good at it. You cast the line not the fly with the fly rod that is way it is so thick and large. With practice you can aciheve quite a bit. Although It is probably best to spend atleast your first season spin fishing.

yellowfin
    Participant

im thinking of heading out for a fish on saturday sometime just depends on the weather and sea conditions though not too sure where ill head yet

yellowfin
    Participant

the sea looks realitivly good for the weekend looking at heading for a surfcast or to the mouth the sea looks

yellowfin
    Participant

I went to the pier early this morning. There was a young couple at the end of the pier doing something that couples normally save for the bedroom. Only caught some decent sized dogfish. Got a big red cod there earlier in the week.

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a fish for a few hours at napenape today

yellowfin
    Participant

When would the 7-gills sharks start to turn up?

Winter is so long and boring fishing wise.

yellowfin
    Participant

prob around late October-November or there abouts.I chase em just north of Kaikoura and I reckon late January through to March is prob the best time to be targeting them.It was those months that produced best for me.Only thing is,thats prime snapper time up these ways and when I wake up to a mint summers morning it takes half a day just to decide which way to go! Thank god for daylight savings!:D

yellowfin
    Participant

I would have to say as early as early october u’d find them on a beach somewhere this is from experience as the ones i have caught have been in early october on really stormy days!

Also miliwolf try and catch a big spiny just for the fight im talking a 6 kg specimen they can put on a real tug and be a bit exciting after a long time of not fishing! Anyway only a month away and the fishing will start hotting up again especially for the big snappers in the sounds.

yellowfin
    Participant

Any suggestions on what would be a good place and time of day to target the large Spiney?

During the winter months historically I have only fished the Wairau river mouth for red cod on trout gear.

I just checked my fishing Calendar and all of October has been booked for ‘Trout fishing’ :X

November is similar…. But would have spare fishing time in December, January and February :) So should be able to get myself a 7-gill or two over these months. Should also find time for a Snapper fish or two. Was planning to this year but did not have the time.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.