Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

As far as i know they dont sell Yellow Eyed Mullet at the shops.

yellowfin
    Participant

HEAD – what sort of set up are you using for fishing in the kaiapoi?

yellowfin
    Participant

Dosent matter i just read on a previous post

yellowfin
    Participant

it depends on what size mullet im trying to catch. i think any small hook would work but if im using small hooks

yellowfin
    Participant

i couldnt help but notice that the fish shop on the corner of

yellowfin
    Participant

I went for my first visit to Birdlings flat today from about 4:45am to midday. Caught

yellowfin
    Participant

I dont think that there is a bait that dogfish wont eat. They will eat almost anything and sometimes there are so many of them around that you will get hooked up as soon as the bait hits the water. Well done on the carpet shark. What bait were you using?

yellowfin
    Participant

Not sure what bait

yellowfin
    Participant

i have heard

yellowfin
    Participant

I went to Pak n’ Save (Westfield Riccarton) this evening to do some shopping and low and behold heaps of mullet for sale. Nice sized yellow eyed mullet, so got 2kg at $14. Should last me 4 or 5 fishing trips.

I don’t think the super markets would sell mullet very often (the description they actually had was “herrings”) but perhaps it was a by catch in a trawl so they are selling them etc?

Getting 2kg of mullet makes me wounder what the heck a singular 2kg mullet must actually look like, they must be huge! Even just a 1kg mullet, that’s massive! You got any pics guys of these big mullets?

Atleast fears of no mullet have been set aside for now! lol.

Nice catch there Booger with that carpet shark, your one up on me. I’ve never caught anything at birdlings flat, but I’ve hardley been there. Should try get out and do some surfcasting more often, just gotta buy a new surfcaster!

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Are you sure that these mullet you brought are Yellow Eyed Mullet? Because i have seen mullet for sale at countdown but i think its different from yellow eyed mullet. A 2kg mullet is around the same size as a 2kg kahawai from what i remember. I didnt have my camera with me the time i caught it so i didnt get a picture. I didnt end up using it for bait so i took it home and cooked it up. I hear that whole baked yellow eyed mullet are good to eat.

yellowfin
    Participant

They look exactly the same as that mullet picture I posted up here, the one I caught at Akaroa. So I’m pretty sure, I’ve heard of grey mullet and stuff etc but yeah…..I’m pretty sure they are yellow eyed mullet. They have yellow eye’s etc.

Here’s a pic of a 3lb Salmon I caught at Coleridge recently (I’ll write up a segment on that soon). Now a 2kg mullet is going to be 1.4lb bigger still. That’s one huge mother of a mullet.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

The Big Mullet i got wasn’t too much bigger than that salmon and i didn’t weight it so i dont know if it was exactly 2kg

yellowfin
    Participant

The Big Mullet i got wasn’t too much bigger than that salmon and i didn’t weight it so i dont know if it was exactly 2kg

yellowfin
    Participant

True, fair enough.

Still, it’s one huge mullet! Maybe I should make a trophy and award it to the biggest mullet caught each year. LOL. Would be cool!

Cheers
    Aaron

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.