Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    elmo22
    Participant

yes birdlings flat both of us here and the house are ok,the wife is pretty scared she was a mess the last one in sept, we going to queenstown next firday for the weekend to a consent (dr hook) hope every thing goes alright and can get fuel to get back to chch… wishing ever one all the best be safe and good health

yellowfin
    Participant

The rig should be ok to eat .” they move in and out with the tide” unquote.A few km away from the river mouths the water would be
    pretty diluted and the risk would be a lot less.I think we should all move to the Bahamas of canterbury (birdlings flat) and give the sea there
    a jolly good rodgering with our fishing poles!

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

..good to hear Elmo..visions of the Bahamas here being invaded by raging intense serious fishers..doesnt that happen anyway?..just got back from helping a guest chuck a bait in down by the carpark-loaned him my big Penn winch with a solid two piece..no luck but he did give up and start filming our great sunset..twas the best thing to do considering the state of the fishing..looks like the High is going to last..saw a fresh dead ele yesterday down the beach so maybe the odd one may be around..and a few stranded mullet in the tide…I jumped them into my freezer…Traditional eeling is in full swing down the drains and the aroma of drying/ smoking eels fills the night air and waffles around the palm trees in the Bahamas of canty….

yellowfin
    Participant

Thats rught ian its the yearly migration time now isnt it?

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yup it certainly is..sea is a beautiful colour today warm no wind very little if none swell purrrfect for an evening fish..all the birds gather here at this time of the year to pick through the backbones ejected from the eel gutting tables(actually the eels that are migrating have bugger all gut-full of omega oils for the long trip to tonga)met a coupla people moki fishing on the beach..no luck so far..they dont care there just glad to get outa chch..

yellowfin
    Participant

One of the owners of Wicks Fish down Worcester St died in the quake :( I’m sure some of you will have ran into her at some stage, I used to buy squid from there for bait. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christc … a-Hadfield

Pyne Gould Corp and their two child companies in that collapsed building are customers of the company I work for, so some of our customers will have died :(

mulletman
    Participant

lost a few good matesin the quake, and my area is messed up alot, wont be fishing for a while

yellowfin
    Participant

Off up to kaikoura for a day. Weather doesn’t look good but I’ll see when I get up there might be fishable.

I guess if there was going to be a birdlings flat comp this year it’s been canceled? Never heard anything about it but it’s getting late by now.

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a couple of hours at Birdlings flat on incoming tide.Beautiful blue sea and dead offshore wind.
    Only two bites but got two rig.One about 18lbs and the other only 8lbs.Both on cooked prawn.
    Good chicken soup for the soul.

yellowfin
    Participant

looking decent for a fish saturday night at birdlings high tide about 5am may head there or friday night female depending, Hope some rig or eles are still around will be keen to try out my new rod

Anonymous
    Inactive

been in kaikoura for the past 5 days caught 2 seven gillers over 6 foot 50 kg plus :) also got a half dozen 4 footers post some good pics up soon :)
    hope all is well with everyone :):):)
    off to birdlings i think how s it looking today?

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Very blustery out here today.80km gusts.a few white horses on the briney..heres the update from the health experts..

The water at all beaches between the Waimakariri River and Lyttelton Harbour should be avoided. The affected beaches include:

Spencer Beach
    Waimairi Beach
    North Beach
    New Brighton Beach
    South Brighton Beach
    Christchurch Estuary
    The beaches at Sumner and Scarborough
    Taylor’s Mistake Beach
    All beaches in Lyttelton Harbour.

“It is extremely important that people adhere to this warning as the current emergency situation means there is a significant risk of outbreaks of gastroenteritis,”

Anonymous
    Inactive

so worth a look later on ya think?hows the swell???

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

might pay to look on the swell map..not very fishable until the wind drops..your call cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

Mr flat question for you? hows the birds been fishing lately? much around this past week? any schoolies been down there at all? how bout rig and eles still many around?

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.