Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I had a run in with a shag that had it’s beak stuck in a tuatua,the poor thing was buggered with the shellfish clamped onto it’s lower jaw bloody tightly and it was obviously in some distress..so I caught the bird and wedged the shell open with a knife, freeing the shag in the process and what did I get in return for my good deed?..a nasty peck to the side of my neck before the ungrateful creature took flight..bloody sharp beaks those critters,and yes it did draw blood!!“>

Anonymous
    Inactive

holy moly thats crazy i had about half a dozen fly into my line yesterday never had that before this southerly sucks :mad:

fishforpot
    Participant

2 yrs ago we couldnt fish for over an hour as about 300 000 shags flew past heading back to the peninsula …..unreal sight

yellowfin
    Participant

have seen that before at birdlings too though there were a distance out. also saw it last last year at kaikoura there were thousands of shags flying past was it mean as

St_Paul
    Participant

fishforpot

yellowfin
    Participant

5 hook max

Miliwolf
    Participant

fishforpot

Miliwolf
    Participant

If these enough support and enough noise is made you can get the policies changed. We gotten longlines banned entirely from the Inner Pelorus and Kenepuru Sounds.

I really struggle to see the point of using them off the east coast, its not like they going to get highly quality eating fish on a regular basis, plus the fight is greatly reduce… The only thing left is the ‘suspense’ of waiting to see what would be caught. I suspect the users might just be masochists who enjoy untangling piles of spur dogs.

gunnercoops
    Participant

to those that know…I do not own a pair of chest waders, nor do I enjoy wading out past my jigglies into a cold sea :shock:

Is it worth fishing Pines / Spencer if only launching a bait from the shallows? Would it not be far enough out ?

yellowfin
    Participant

jst harden up lol

HIPP
    Participant

gunnercoops, I asked the same question and the boys came forth with some info,just go back apage or two,quite alot of info,very helpfull, My interpretaion is you can do just fine casting into the gut that runs parallel to the beach inbetween the breakers,not out the back, but Im yet to try it. good luck and let us know how yee go:),cheers, Hipp

fishforpot
    Participant

I recall some years back , when the fishing wasnt as good as it is now along that stretch of coast , I waded thru the gut at low tide , and was back in ankle deep water fishing the open sea …….I turned around and some bloke was fishing behind me ….casting into the water Id waded thru …no more than waste deep ….
    He caught 4 to my 1 ….was just after first light ….
    Another day I was fishing the gut at high time and noticed an ele tail splashing around in the shallows ……figured it was caught in a net ……nope ….low tide exposed no net ….it was digging into the sand for food “tailing”

You only but try along the beach …..its handy to CHCH …..and sometimes there’s some awesome sights to be seen hehe

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve caught all my fish casting into the gutter along the beach including 4 rig yesterday morning..it looked fishy to me when I first went out surfcasting and has produced well..like I said the other day,we had fish bumping in to us in knee deep water one night.BUT I only fish after dark when the fish lose their caution, it may not fish so well in daylight hours,if the sea is flat you won’t need waders, and if it’s warm you wont want waders as the sea is like a bath at the mo…but I’m no expert in these things as this is my first season as a bonafide surfcaster..it’s a far cry from trout and salmon fishing that’s for sure!!

gunnercoops
    Participant

yeah maybe I do need to harden up! Will give it a go one evening soon, don’t seem to be able to catch much any where else I go!

fishforpot
    Participant

Ele’s wont be here much longer , suprised they are here still in fact …..crab numbers seem more prolific along that stretch of coast tho …so in the dark will be best of course

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.