Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I have only targeted eles which is why i use the tuatua..it seems to do the trick for eles but nothing much else, also i have never in my experiences had much luck when the sea is rough, so now I just wait until the conditions are flat or close too and then head out at night 3 hours before low tide and fish the first hour of the incoming also.A 2 hook ledger rig with two 5/0 recurves hooks them well everytime.Would be keen to fish another rod with crab or prawn to see if any rig are about as I have never caught one before!!

HIPP
    Participant

Thanks for the info guys,

Im keen to try one of these beaches for eles and rig so your info on the hows wheres and when and with what will give me a head start.

Will report how I go.

cheers, Hipp

fishforpot
    Participant

Ive found sparrow fart best for ele’s ….and if you can cast any decent sorta distance , you can still fish the open water even on high tide …..tomorrow morning , or wednesday morning would be awesome …….tonight might be hard with an onshore wind , but Id pick the sea as being calm enough ….pays to double check swellmap in case something is rolling around the peninsula …….but it was a nothing southerly

Use 2 rods , 1 bait on each …this help when casting …..eles have small mouths , so I use #2 hooks …….but that’s just my preference ………fresh squid is a good fallback if ya cant get crabs ….but rip the legs off the crabs and the shell ……the eles were quite fiesty last night ………a bait the size of 2 of the old 50cent pience side by side is about right ..maybe 3

Good luck

HIPP
    Participant

Thanks again for the tips, it would seem from the reports above, high or low tide catches are possible on the flat beaches north of chch,

One thing though? Do the fish lurk out the back of the last breaker or can they be caught inside that?
    On a prvious look there at lower tide I noticed a number of channels that would be amonst the breakers dureing high tide, the reason I ask is Im not keen on the wadeing if fishing alone and I can cast afair distance.
    cheers Hipp

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for the info cant wait to get out there :grin: i havnt been out there for a few years what area do you fish?

yellowfin
    Participant

mainly the water occasionally the city though most the fish there are throw backs

yellowfin
    Participant

I only cast into the gutter that runs parallel to the beach,I don’t bother biffing it out the back into open water behind the bar..during flat calm conditions you can stand right on the edge of the gutter and just lob the bait into it perhaps 20-30m..this definitely works a treat at night time when the fish move into the shallows under the cover of darkness to feed on the pipi beds..I only fish a ten foot rock set up I bought for sounds snapper fishing many years ago so long distance casting isn’t ideal for me..last night my mate and I both had fish bump into our legs several times as we stood in knee deep water fishing,what they were we aren’t sure,perhaps somebody might be able to shed some light on that,but it goes to show how shallow fish are prepared to come during dark nights..It’s well worth the effort as these bad boys make fine eating and I will certainly be out Weds morning pre dawn to try again!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Pines beach at the moment as I don’t have a key to the gate at Spencer park..there is nothing special about where I fish just as long as I can fish into the gutter!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

into the gutter?is it best on low tide?how far down the beach does it run?

Hardy
    Participant

Ok Beameer

Time for a little frontal. Ian aka Birdlings Flat caught that thresher on a telescopic rod. And on his own. I know that for a fact . And the body is in a hidden place , where little bugs are getting a feed. And Ian will recover the jaws. And good on him. He deserves that. After a fight of well over an hour he beached a worthy oppenent. The best man won on the day. Ian perhaps unknown to you, has a heart problem. Angina happens to people, not fish. And the way to deal with it. Is to take a nitroglcerine spray which alleviates the pain. Perhaps you need a nitroglycerine capsule introduced in another place other than the mouth. It is after all the main ingredient of gelignite.
    You Beameer have angered me. Ian and a few others on here have motivated this forum. Ian actually went far beyond the call, giving updates on Birdlings, swell, weather and when the fish were on. And he put the place on the map. And then organised and put together a bloody great friendly Fishing Comp, based at his house at the Flat.

And he loves the place. So he is to me a guardian of Birdlings Flat. And if I was in the same place and position, I too would take pics of wanton destruction. And the leaving of Spikey Dogfish all over the beach, The leaving of a Kontiki Longlines spikey dogs and Ians great fight with a mighty Thresher are miles apart.

And I struggle to understand where you bring the two together. But then you actually believed the Thresher had an angina attack through lack of oxygen. Frig Beameer, what planet do you live on. What next open heart surgery on a gasping Kahawai. Or even mouth to mouth.

Oh my mind boggles. So Beameer what do you to conserve fish stocks. Enlighten us. Well actually me..

I guess you could apoligise to Birdlings. I for one would hate to see him go from here. But it is crap like you wrote that makes people leave Fishing Forums. And after all Ian has done, I think I would be a little peeved of.

So dig a hole in the sand, say sorry, and I will leave it there, plus no doubt a few more that know Ian, will do the same.

Fishing is a challenge enough, lets not make anymore.

Cheers Hardy

yellowfin
    Participant

Well said Hardy, I don’t know Ian personally but I do know that I enjoy his input on these forums no end.Amatuer5, the gutter I’m talking about is the deep water that runs parallel to the beach for most of it’s length,this is created by a sand bar that separates the open sea from the shore..if you look closely you can see that there are 2 sets of breaking waves, the outer one I just mentioned and also those that wash up on the beach..in between is the gutter or channel I fish,at times of rough seas it can be hard to identify,but in flat conditions it is easy..it’s a fish highway after dark!!

fishforpot
    Participant

Fish stocks would likely improve if everyone butched the doggies …….the food chain is out of balance thanks to commercial fishing over the years

The channel along the beach will move back and forth with tide …..fishing behind the last wave gives you way more chance during daylight hours ……

The fishing has improved a heap since the setnet ban ….in saying that , I spoke to a guy with a torpedo the other night who said the other day he caught 9 eles 2 rig and 2 schoolies on 1 set and was lucky to have someone with him or he’d have put heaps back ……ya dont need that much fish ….it sounded like he was catching huge hauls like this regularly …that needs to stop

Oh , more than likely kahawai bumping into you …..but ya never know

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for the info kevo be well keen to get out there and catch me an ele :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

wheres good fishing today???anyone :D

rayhunter
    Participant

anyone keen to go for anite fish to get some eles

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.