Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

dogfish are over populated. Every club comp I been to along the canturbury coast people catch hundreds of dogfish and pretty much nothing else and this has been happening for a long time with no sign of numbers decreasing, if anything they’re increasing in numbers.

yellowfin
    Participant

they even catch them in ireland though cant remember what they wee called there. My sisters irish partner was here over xmas and caught a few and said even in ireland they can be a pest at times and they just chop em up and throw em back or do other shit

yellowfin
    Participant

They work as bait if you can’t find anything else. Has a few advantages, one being dogfish will very rarely go for dogfish, it’s very tough and stays on the hook. You can expect to catch various other sharks like school sharks, seven gillers, carpet sharks and probably blue’s etc as well, also had congers and skate on dogfish bait. Rarely use it for bait anymore but it used to work well for me, had quite a few seven gillers and school sharks on it.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

quite a few people out here on the penninsula enjoy eating dogfish..I have had it smoked and fried..in the past..its not too bad when dried in the salt air and cold smoked..
    ..but the fact remains your a dickhead if you kill something and dont use it..
    ..yeah Im passionate about my beach here..
    looking after whats left of our fisheries for our children starts here

Miliwolf
    Participant

Currently bent over in my fridge is a Snapper, lipped weighed it went 20lb…. Going to give him a proper weigh in the morning. Ugly fellow, been in the wars. Spent about 20 minutes waist deep in the sea trying to revive him, even went for a 10m swim in the dark to retrieve his floating body.

If anybody in the Blenheim area wants a 20lb Snapper, let me know and you can have it. Would update post in the morning.

yellowfin
    Participant

Leaving dead dogfish all over the beach is pointless when they could be thrown back. Even if anyone tried to do their own population control and kill any dogfish they caught, the amount of impact would be so small and nothing close to what the trawlers and comercial fishing is doing to other species that are a lot less common. One load of elephant fish and rig that a small fishing boat would bring back would probably be more than anyone would catch on a rod and reel in a whole season.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was a commercial fisherman for several years and got dogged out many times.Once at Double Corner nearly every hole in
    net had a dogfish in it .Pulled two-200m nets on board to clear.Boat is starting to sink.Water comming over the sides.
    Butt-cheeks are in full walnut cracking mode.One motor drowned ,nogo.Cheeks tighter.Thank God and bless the Jack D.
    motor number two starts.Cheek pressure eases.Threw all dogs overboard whilst putting forward.But did not kill and
    maime said dogs.There are that many down there it is futile to even bother.There would have been several hundred per net.
    Kill nothing you cant eat ,cos another creature down there certainly will.Amen.

St_Paul
    Participant

Miliwolf

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

ma that snap would smoke up real nice..be worth a trip over to milli-camp!!! :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a evening Snapper fish. Got to the spot in the Mauha sounds around 8pm, there was a NW breeze and a bumpy sea. Was fishing anchovies and half pilchards, uncertain which one the Snapper took. The fishing was slow to begin with, just nibbles. Then with the light fading one of my rods went baslistic…. I grabbed it and increased the drag and the fight was on.

Shortly, I had the snapper near the beach. But the rocks meant there was no easy landing. By this stage the Snapper was floating… So I carefully climbed down into knee deep water and quickly slipped away and was wet up to my chest

Grabbed and carried the Snapper back onto the rocks, saw it deeply swallowed the hook , plus I left my new dehookers at home . Gave it a quick weigh and slipped over again while doing so (poor fish and Rod). Luckily I prefer to use $75 rods when rock fishing, they like punishment.

Looked at the hook again, and it was much to deep for my pliers. So cut the line and tried to revive it.. After 5-10 minutes it did a few weak tail flicks so I gently glided it away… But it continued to side float and all movement stopped. So I walked out to retrive the floating snapper, which soon turned into a swim (it was dark by now). Dragged it back to shore, and tried a further few minutes to revive it. After no signs of recovery I took it back to my pack to dispatch, then it threw a flapping fit so I tried once again… No luck. Returned to pack, stabbed in brain. It threw another flapping fit then no more.

Would have loved to continual fishing, but being wet and getting cold I decided to pack up and head for home. Gutted and weighed on what should be more accurate scales it come to 16.7lb. So I guess it would have weighed around 17lb whole (i got the guts in freezer but to lazy to weigh). Going to purchase better quality scales for on the water because I suspect mine might weigh a little heavy.

“>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

yellowfin
    Participant

NICE FISH MILI

HIPP
    Participant

Nice fish well done

fishforpot
    Participant

Baileys yesterday morning , a mate went south and tried his luck ….

1 elephant and 8 rig between his daughter and her friend ….he got a few dogs and a couple of small schoolies …….

Girls were using crab for bait , so once the rig came on the bite the eles had no real chance ……good to hear they are still around tho

Fish were feeding bigtime around the bite times ….

yellowfin
    Participant

socky

fishforpot
    Participant

Dont they export the bigger cows ?? I’m pretty sure they used to

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.