Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

kahawai

Hardy
    Participant

Hee Hee Hipp well picked up. :grin: . It is indeed a Southern Tiphead, a very distant relative of the Austrailian Flathead. Yes it does kinda look like a kahawai, in fact it fights just like a Kahawai, tastes just like a kahawai . In fact when you catch one, you would swear its a kahawai. But no its a Southern Tiphead from now on.

Cheers Trev aka Hardy

fisherman24
    Participant

hahaha (pommy slayer) i like it. We was going to pop in to say hi on the way home birdlings flat but we didnt leave till 1.30am so dont think u would of been to happy with a visit then :grin: . I am going to taylers mistake tomrrow after work so will let you no how i get on.

yellowfin
    Participant

Last nights catch down the waimak mouth in a couple hours 6-30pm-8.30pm

“>

The end product YUM :D

“>

Not bad for first ever time smoking, also them pros out there is the brown part of the fillet once smoked ok to eat? does it mean it hasnt been smoked long enough or? any suggestions would be fantastic :)

fishforpot
    Participant

The brown bits are blood withen the fillets ……..Even when bled properly you still get some blood left ……

I see the heads bent way back ….this will kill the fish …..what you need to do is carefully reach in and cut the main artery between the gills and heart ….WITHOUT killing the fish …

Experiment with the technique …….

yellowfin
    Participant

I also cut the tails of them and snapped them and the blood pumps out quite good (done while the fish is alive so it pumps out), is that sufficient enough or you still recommend ur method

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

honey and soy mixed together rubbed into the kahawai fillets pre smoking makes the red bits lovely to eat… :smile:
    kill your fish first you bloody sadists!

yellowfin
    Participant

so if you killed then filleted the fish straight away you wouldnt need to worry about bleeding ?

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

kill it by iki method or thump on the head or whatever..then cut along from the anus to past the bottom of the gill plate..reach in and with one foul swoop pull the gills and gut out..then fillet as soon as poss..everybody has a different way..
    ..I hope this forum promotes common sense fishing along with humane killing of fish..sorry I dont abide this bullshit cutting off of tails while the fish is still alive..the sooner the fish is killed the less stress the flesh goes through..stress the fish and you loose taste..any good chef will tell you that :smile:

Hardy
    Participant

I agree Birdlings. This bleeding thing is to me pure crap. Passed down from generation to generation without thought. If you catch a Southern Tiphead, off with his head while he is still kicking. Out with his guts. And he will bleed out. And he or she is dead dead dead. Same with all fish. This bleeding Kahawai is an old wives tale. And yep no matter what you do. That red strip will always be there. And tastey it is to. Esp if smoked. Same goes for rig, whatever, off with their head I say and the job is done. Guts out and put in the chilly bin. Course you have ice dont you. Would you want your main artery cut, or tail cut off, doubt it. Mind you Ian had a mean Machete for a prize in the Comp. I think rolled up shorts won that one. Damm if I have had got that beauty, I would roam Birdlings flat and deal with all your catches. And Fisherman24 aka Duwayne, now how do you spell that 24. Well you would get a a hair cut. :grin: and your rigs would be beheaded before you know it. Now I know where to find you. Spot X is out. I can just imagine the headlines, wine crazed Single Malted West Coaster goes berserk at Birdlings Flat. Oh darn. I am in the poo again.
    Good God I am missing the place but not Ians potions. I like my cordial. Check out his Agate Pile, I snaffled a few, thanks Ian. Well only five, but they were handpicked.

Hope you got the smoker cabinet panel beated. And no he didn’t run over it on his quad. That is yet to come.

Cheers Trev aka Hardy

fishforpot
    Participant

If you like eating blood filled flesh , sure , kill the fish first

If you want the purist of flesh possible , use the fishes own heart to pump the blood out ……Ive watched bluecod turn white ….their colour returns to a degree a bit later , but the fillets are so much better to eat

I probably shouldnt tell you Ian , but your mate Ross showed me how to bleed fish properly …..

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

new door on the smoker..works well..Ross sees things differently..I dont..be bloody boring if we were all the same..although we share the love of good single malts.and ambergris finds.fast fish..slow women..Im stopping there..Hey trev!”my potions??”I did not mix it?/lol :smile: anybody know how well these work?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Fishing … 953835.htm

yellowfin
    Participant

got back from abel tasman .. again
    went out fishing once , caught a snapper and a eagle ray..
    it faught hard and jumped several times ??
    we were worried about its barb? so cut the line right by its mouth and it swam away happily :)

HIPP
    Participant

Birdlingsflat

yellowfin
    Participant

I agree totally with Ian,I bleed my Kahawai but only after I’ve tapped them on the head first,bleeding them while they are alive only gives fuel to those seeking to ban the pastime we love by suggesting it’s cruel.I’ve eaten Kahawai that wasn’t bled and I honestly can’t pick the difference..why make the fish suffer?

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.