Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    mulletman
    Participant

we estimated it at 56kgs, the guy who caught it wacked a rod holder thru each wing, anotha guy held the tail down with a stick, then i held the hoody on it, wrapped it around ant tied it off, then the guy whu caught t wacked a rod holder inbetween the rays eyes

yellowfin
    Participant

why did he need to kill it ?
    good time fishing in abel tasman with snapper caught off the rocks , kahawai, kingies, and big rays !!!
    hamish hooked into a big stingray which was lost at the bank.. happily

a good sized kahawai…

hamish with a blue cod..

what was left of my small kahawai livie :(

mulletman
    Participant

looks like it got hit by a bigger shark, blue,mako???

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

fisherman 24 is down the beach him and his mate have 4 good rig..biggest over 20lb..just buzzed down to see him..pity the comp starts at 12 in the morning..but just says the fish are certainly around…

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

First fish wighed in at 7 am 10lb rig by Randal Wood Birdlings Flat..cooked prawn bayleys beach..winds up..

yellowfin
    Participant

Went down to timaru yesterday to fish the wharf. Only managed herrings and a few undersize terakihi and moki on prawn and mussel baits. Was hoping the bigger moki would turn up at night but I don’t even think I hooked a single fish after dark and I was there till after midnight… Seemed completely dead apart from a dogfish and some herrings swimming around on the surface, managed to get two herring in the cast net before I packed up. Might have had more luck on the south side of the breakwater but if there’s small moki off the wharf during the day the bigger ones should be there as well.

Also kids fishing competiton off the wharf today bait supplied by sanfords $1000 to biggest fish, be interesting to see what was caught

fishforpot
    Participant

Skipped the comp today , forcast had changed by the time I got home last night with fresh bait ….not gunna fight wind and swell then have a southerly kick in ….I like to enjoy my fishing ….
    Was a cracker evening here in CHCH , still had fresh bait so took a mate down Spencers Park ….1 elephant about 8lb and a 13 lb rig for my mate ….I got a rig about the same size , maybe a little smaller but Id head tailed and gutted it before he caught his so couldnt compare lol ….

HIPP
    Participant

Fished over in Ross Friday put a flounder net in the lagoon, no flats but 4 herrings, surfcast with a mate from 11pm, tide 4 hours down, cooked prawns for bait.

My cobber got into a Kahawai fairly quick then I hooked in to a Rig around 1am followed by my mate getting another Kahawai, first time Ive seen anyone catch Kahawai at night.

It was half moonish but very light and agentle tail wind, the next night we fish the mouth 9pmish start fished for a couple of hours nothing doing.

Also shot a couple of goats, but thats another story anyone know of a simalar hunting fourm?

cheers, Hipp

fisherman24
    Participant

here are the two rig i got on saterday just a few hours before the competition,biggest was just over 20lb

fishforpot
    Participant

Someone stole its tail ????

A commercial fisherman showed a mate of mine how to bleed fish , the way they bleed the tuna that fetch $200 000 each ……and he showed me ….

Do NOT kill the fish …and dont worry about the tail ….. cut the main artery between the gills and the heart …..and let the fishes own heart pump its blood out ….

With the likes of blue cod etc you gotta be careful not to damage the heart which will kill it …..sharks you gotta cut thru the underbelly near the head to access the area …a little practice and its easy as ….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice brace of rig fisherman24,

fishforpot is right, that is the best way to bleed them..I also cut half way through the tail and then snap it,
    this gets the last of the blood out and makes for nice clean fillets.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I bleed most of my fish while they are still alive, can watch the heart pump squirts of blood out. For rig I bleed, head, gut. fin, tail etc, before rinsing in saltwater and putting into salt ice. But the little buggers still have a overwhelming smell of ammonium. Many people can not pick it up but I can. So I release 99% of Rig I catch.

HIPP
    Participant

Very good Rig fisherman24, well done, its been a while since I have had rig that big,lots of feeds in one like that.

were you useing crab?, cheers hipp

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi chaps,can anybody please tell me what the sea conditions are like at birdlings thie morning,thinking about heading for an evening fish today..cheers

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

its Shit!-and wet

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.