Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

just got back from birdlings
    got some huge hits on tuatua but no eles
    hamish with a small tope… and some other photos
    of a good night out there…

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

good on ya..you may want to try a combo bait cheers

fishforpot
    Participant

Sheesh Bridlings , your eyesight is better than mine ……..most ?? lol awesome pic of the conditions …….

Through many years of kitefishing and surfcasting in Pegasus bay I found the ele’s and rig and quite likely even the schoolie seem to be quite lazy , they drift with the current a lot

If it blow nor-west for a few days they seem to drift towards the estuary , and the southerly pushes them to Amberly ….

Calm conditions they seem to spread a bit …….

More than likely something similar happens along kaitariti ……Birdlings fishes best after a sou-sou/wester ……..with days of eastery swell and winds the fish are mostly likely down pendarves or south of there ….

This and the dodgy weather forcast for this morning is why I didnt get up at 3am and try my luck ….

More than likely there will be stragglers about , but Ive found if I follow that theory I maximise my chances ….

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

it was a lovely morning out here,I hope those who fished this morning did well..My theory is to stick my head out the door..and say yay or nay and off I go,gave up weather reports long ago..but then I dont have far to go to return home if it turns to custard..Kaitorete spit has one of the lowest rainfalls in NZ..most of its not very old in geological terms..it can be blowing and raining at Akaroa and chch and perfectly fine on the spit..My cheap gear and nonchalant fishing habits produce the odd fish but I gave up serious fishing and took up relaxation fishing long ago..When I first came to Birdlings flat 7 years ago..I took out over 70 moki that year on pipi and mussel down the cliff end ..now fish stocks are declining and I find a more casual approach is much more fun..A fish is a bonus,ice cream on a lovely day out…it really is a tough lifestyle out here..especially when we have to holiday at gentle annie for a break…

oldgreyboy
    Participant

went south of timaru this morn early huge nor east dumps on the beach came home and the wind has really picked up now it will take a while to flatten off a bit

Anonymous
    Inactive

A mate and I fished Kaitorete spit last night from 7-10, although the forecast wasn’t good, the evening was warm and calm with murky water
    live crab was the bait, we managed 5 good size rig between us, the first would have easy gone 20lbs
    my mate has fished for many years and had never caught a rig , he landed 3 on fairly light gear..that was the highlight of the night
    the water cleared dramatically with the current about 9, but still no eles, maybe they have moved on already.. not sure

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yup still nor east here with a few fisherpeople tucked in at the cliff end…sounds like last night was rigged..lol

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Hi all, took a new year for me to finally get some fishing done. Headed down the coast on Monday to a well known big shark beach, but was not to be the result one small red cod and a small schoolie, the fishing was dead as many others who were down that way found also; and from reading reports on here the fishing wasnt that flash in canterbury either (must have been something about that day!!!) On a brighter note did managed to hook this legal sized Cray out of the Briny which is a rare catch on line and sinker especially from the beach.

Next i was able to pop down to rarangi on wednesday night for couple of hours and secure me a 10lb rig for the freezer, plus caught a few cod on fish baits and had a few more cooked prawn baits hit hard but not hook up. Cant wait to get and do some more iv had a bit of a drought from it and now just want to get into it.

yellowfin
    Participant

everyone seems to be using crabs for bait when targeting rig …
    i got mine on sqid …
    the crabs that you use
    where do you catch them and how ??
    cheers

HIPP
    Participant

got back yesterday from 2 days at gore bay, we got 2 skate on the longline , taken out by my friend on his surf board, used mostly fresh crab, but some prawn and some squid. we also did a few drags in the trench with a flounder net, one rig and lots of paddle crabs.
    Fished Manuka bay on the way back, more of a drop off and good foul at each end, but lots of snags, landed a wrass or parrot fish looking thing.lots of other smaller bites.
    Good to see you fellas, been busy, just spent an hour catching up on the goss.
    Looks like the Ele,s might have gone off the boil abit, Rig starting to happen., Cheers, Hipp

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d also like to know where to get them. Bought some once from a supermarket but at $12+ for the bugger all I got I’d be reluctant to buy em again. Is there anywhere else (read cheaper) you can buy them? Really do need to get a pot and get my own…

Hardy
    Participant

If I need crabs. I use my second rod. Get a tangled ball of fine nylon. Tie it to your hook and sinker, Put a largish bait on the hook. Cast it out, it won’t go far but if there are crabs are about you will snare several each cast. Leave bait about 10 minutes.

Cheers Trev aka Hardy

Anonymous
    Inactive

awesome! i’ll give it a go next time im out

yellowfin
    Participant

and for rig how do you put them on the hook
    i wouldnt imagine whole??
    cheers

fishforpot
    Participant

Crab will outfish squid 10-1 ……the rig are inshore to feed on crabs ….

Crabs smaller than 2 inches across the body , stick on whole ……

2- 3 inches , I rip off all legs , remove the back and fold the body over on itself ….feed a hook thru and tie on with cotton …Normally use a keeper hook as well

Bigger crabs you can cut in half , remove the back , I take off the main claw and feed the hook thru the body , tie the legs back up your line and feed the keeper thru the legs/cotton
    Or , remove back and all legs , cut in half …bind the meaty half crab bit to the hook

Crab meat baits without legs are deadly on both rig and ele’s , but if there’s sea lice or crabs feeding out there , leaving the legs in tact gives you a better chance to keep bait in the water
    Baits without legs cast much better …..folding the body over on itself helps keep the meat intact during casting , vital if crabs have been frozen

There’s enough info above to set you on the right track ………

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.