Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

spent the evening at Birdlings flat
    2 nice kahawai
    2 crabs
    1 rig
    and lost a huge thresher shark in close … what a buzz
    looked a similar size to yours birdlings !!!
    heres a photo of my rig !!!

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Very cool so it was worth getting rained upon after all pity bout the thresher..its a good sign!That they are out there..and good to see a big bunch of people out there doing it!!

yellowfin
    Participant

yeah
    it was great fun tonight lol
    legs were still shaking half an hour after the fight haha
    on the downside mu rod spike was pushed hard into the ground and it bent in half when it was hooked
    we were fishingdown bayleys road where the road turns to shingle a side track heads down towards the beach
    no elephant fish :(

Anonymous
    Inactive

yea figured they would be good bait after all the snapper were there and so were they, but the pillies did the trick.

What bait is everyone using when the threshers strike?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I tried piper a few times for bait and I do not consider its worth the effort catch them.

Was anyone else catching Snapper on the point?

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

The thresher probably struck whatever had taken your bait..as mine did..it was all Wham Bam stuff..as you saw!.Next we will have all the LBG people lined up on the beach!..In Northern warmer waters where Piper is prized we use a piper net in quiet water after chucking bran out they are also fantastic as a raw fish dish or done up like roll mops..on another tack..
    Does anybody know in Christchurch where you can buy grey mullet as bait?..or tua tuas or yellow eyed mullet?Can buy all that in bait shops up north but not down here??Dont have a lot of time myself to go out and collect it..

yellowfin
    Participant

just got back from black rock fished from about 8.30-midnight. Nothing really except a few doggies after dark,was using squid,prawn and crab for bait. 2 commercial fishing boats weren’t very far out to sea so wouldn’t be surprised if that was why we got bugger all

yellowfin
    Participant

we were using a combo of baits ..
    squid cooked prawn and mussel
    we think that there may have been a small fish or a crab hoooked up when it took
    but it put my gear to the test lol
    when hooked it took off down towards banks peninisular and kicked around on the surface
    good fun tho
    i am semi glad that i lost it tho
    i have no use for a shark of that size :)

mulletman
    Participant

i think ive seen grey mullet at the wharehouse, but i get my own tuatuas

Participant

Mrs holding large greyboy top end baileys

http://img266.imageshack.us/i/43504640.jpg/

yellowfin
    Participant

we were out at birdlings flat on sunday night and the fishing was amazing we got a nice kahawai and 2 doggies had a big bite but the hook broke..got me excited though, went back on monday and didnt get a bite all day .. oh well thats fishing aye

Anonymous
    Inactive

not sure if anyone else caught any snapper mili, but there were no other cars in the carpark when we left. Spoke to a guy who started fishing next to us the night before, said he caught a 44cm snap off the breakwater near waikawa before xmas and hasn’t had any luck since

Miliwolf
    Participant

I reckon the storm would have done the Snapper fishing no favors. probably caused them to head further out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

went for a look at the kenepuru twice, the 1st night was ok, water wasn’t too bad caught a few kahawai got bitten off by what im sure was a snap, that was right out past the head on the other side just before dark. The second time i went I found the spot by the big tree you told me about, didn’t even wet a line as the water was like mud. Then I went to karaka

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kenepuru road is an absolute mess, would avoid fishing over there till its cleaned up

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.