Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    Birdlingsflat
    Participant

DONE

yellowfin
    Participant

Last night wasn’t primo for me.. went to Bayleys beach but there was nothing decent where I was, plenty of sea lice and/or crabs stripping baits quickly. Saw Birdlingsflat go past on the quad bike.. maybe a thumbs up could be the secret signal that you’re a forum member. Would’ve tried further down the beach and stayed longer if I didn’t have a friend and one of my sons with me.

mulletman
    Participant

got a couple of kahawai at waimari lastnite

fishforpot
    Participant

A cobber fished south of baileys proper , sea full of grass and sticks …..caught a nice rig around 6.30 , at about 8pm he got an 11lb schoolie followed by a few smaller ones …..

Worst fishing in 3yrs at the spot …..but given the river over the last week I wouldnt have expected much more

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

chucked a line in sth of bayleys this morning..no bites for half an hour..counted 5 ele heads at Bayleys..so last night musta been succesful for others as well..few rig heads as well..lotsa penguins around gannets and terns diving shags were getting full on baitfish..water much clearer..will try the thumbs up Booger next time..or get on the mugshot thread?

yellowfin
    Participant

Done two daytrips to Manwarings Road yesterday and today with the family, used crabs and prawns for bait with no success, another guy landed a small schoolie yesterday but all in all pretty sad. But still better than being at work :)

fishforpot
    Participant

Cattle , both times you mention have the word “day” in them ….today and yesterday ….can we assume you fished during “the day”

With all that fresh water around you would want to maximise your chances , and fish the changes of light ….

Of course I’m assuming , but thought it worth mentioning for those new to the sport

yellowfin
    Participant

today the water was cleaner than i have ever seen it
    lol
    seriously too clean !!!
    only managed 1 crap on cooked prawn and squid !!
    any suggestions
    i feel like im missing out
    haha

fishforpot
    Participant

You intolerant to seafood maybe searunner ? ….tips , dont eat seafood and carry plenty of loo paper just in case ….

Again I hear “today” mentioned …. days are for mowing lawns ….and playing golf or gathering bait

Fish from 5-8am …7-10pm …..or in the dark …….. the rest of the day is %wise not good for fishing

yellowfin
    Participant

today from 11 till 3
    hahah
    i meant 1 crab on cooked prawn and sqid
    we are going out tomorow from 6 till late
    7km north of rangitata river mouth
    water was surprisingly clear
    what sort of things do you think we may catch
    cheers

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Daytime aint a no go zone and can be quite productive..Fish whenever you feel the urge or have the time,we cant all be fish commandos,I buy my bait from new world,no lawns its all gravel,and could never get the hang of golf..Families play a big part in when a person can go fishing..and I see many who make a dash from the city whenever they can..at the end of the day its great to be out near the sea..Fishing is fickle at times and if sometimes I had listened to so called gurus or experts I would have never have landed some great fish..I remember a year many moons ago in the 90 mile beach contest when a newbie won $60,000..for the biggest snapper..early warehouse gear,had trouble casting,didnt know what a drag was..caught it in the lunchtime when most were having a cuppa..That is one of the great things about fishing..even if your no good..your in with a chance…. :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

i was just quite surprised when i didnt catch anything
    might have to try a new spot
    also i loaded my reel with 50lb braid but i cant seem to cast very far ??
    i might change back to mono 6kg+ black majic
    what should i use ??

fishforpot
    Participant

There are always exceptions , and with fishing ya just never know …..

Ive said before , the 2 most incredibly full on fishing days Ive had were middle of the day …but 75% of the time Id expect to catch sweet bugger all ….. user friendly as I like to call it …..and yes , any fishing is better than no fishing ……
    I can think of 1 night in the last 10yrs where I struggled to take home a feed ….mainly cause we had to wait 2 hrs for roughly 1/4 million shags to fly back to the peninsula ……never seen anything like it ….couldnt fish till not far off dark , and had kids with us so squeezed barely an hours fishing in..

If you want to increase the %’s you fish moring or evening ….

There’s a reason why I can go to the likes of Amberly in the late evening and catch rig ….yet 9am-3pm the biggest fish caught between 300 fisherman is a 5lb school shark….

Clean water during the day , most days you will be feeding the crabs , might catch a kahawai or carpet shark if lucky …

I would go out where you mention searunner, at say 6pm , and fish in the back of the breaking wave with small hooks and slivers of salted pilchards to catch some mullet …then about 8pm Id start using bigger hooks a little further out with strips of fresh mullet …..steel trace would be a good idea ……and set your drag light
    Think about buying a spare spool for your reel , so you can switch to 6kg when the conditions require , otherwise the spool with braid should be fine the rest of the time

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Searunner look at your casting methodology..are you holding the line against the butt when casting or under spooled with the braid..sometimes these can cause problems with distance..also some braids pack loose and the braid on top squeezes up tight through the stuff already wound on and makes release tough?…look at your guides for nice slippery movement..remember most fish are close in.. :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Decided fishing was a good way to spend new years eve, so headed down to Blind river. Got there around 8pm, there was a chill in the air and the sea was a bit rough. Fishing was slow, around 9pm a southerly breeze picked up which made things a bit unpleasant on the beach. So I either sat in my truck or in a hole in the dunes. Landed one small rig on paddle crab then after hooked a Skate in the nose on small bits of cockle. Was considering fishing until midnight but the fishing was not good enough so packed up and went home around 10:30pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.