Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

You should use bait elastic with prawns and crabs, I use a lot with crabs in particular. Cotton is probably better than nothing if you’re not near a fishing shop.
    Never tried cooked crabs, I suspect they wouldn’t work as well as raw crabs because the scent wouldn’t be as strong and would be different from what the fish are familiar with.. although I’ve caught a variety of different species on cooked prawns. If you’re using two hooks with two baits, put the crab on the bottom hook. I don’t remember ever catching a dogfish on crab but they will occasionally go for prawns (nowhere near as much as they’ll go for squid).

I think I’ll go to either Taumutu or Bayleys beach tomorrow night, hopefully there will be something around.

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone been out rakaia/dorie way fishing since the flooding? just wondering how dirty the water is?

fishforpot
    Participant

Take a peek at the webcam off the Asburton river mouth …..the sea is mud ……rig will be feeding in it , maybe the cod …not sure about anything else but

yellowfin
    Participant

i am hoping to get some eles..
    but i think rig are all we are going to get !!
    is 17lb line with 40 lb shockbreaker enough
    i figured that i will be abel to get long casts out with this..
    not planning to get any sevengillers
    haha

Miliwolf
    Participant

Your line would be fine, just keep a eye out for abrasion. Fish normally feed just behind the first breaker so short casts are normally more productive then long.

Went for a fish at Blind River tonight, Sea was calm with only a small swell rolling in. Clarity was surprisingly good considering the storm we had the previous day. Was low tide when I got there (7:30pm) and I fished until 9:45pm. A few nibbles and strikes but landed only one moderate size Rig just before dark. It took a whole crab. Also tried prawn and folded in half crab but nothing showed interest in them.

Giller
    Participant

Searunner- are u on the south side or the north side ?

camping or in a bach ?
    im off down there new years day for a week in the camping ground .Can u tell me what the beach is like and hows the surf looking ?

yellowfin
    Participant

hi giller
    i am staying in a house on a farm not far from the river and the sea
    i am going for A Fish this afternoon and i will let you know how it is
    oh and whaich tide is the best
    in the past i have preferred low tide ??

Giller
    Participant

Hi,personally i always enjoyed the incoming tide,usualy always got more hits than on low tide.
    but also do get alot of seven gillers in the morning up till around 9-10 am then it dies off.Put some Fresh mullet on a decent sized hook like 8 or 9 hook and throw it out about 15 m and wait for the rod to go off.the gillers there hit in a lazy way.they hit the hook then swim in with it then race out again,just keep a eye on ya rod all the time as you will noticed a huge slack in the line,that is one sign that a seven giller has come your way .

yellowfin
    Participant

i have got some sqid bait and a bag of cooked prawns..
    how do you catch mullet in the surf
    i am after rig and elephant fish
    a sevengiller would be a nice surprise
    iv just loaded my reel up with 50lb braid..
    and 30 lb yo zuri shock leader !!!

Giller
    Participant

what side of the rangi are u on ?
    and how long are you staying down there for ?

yellowfin
    Participant

we are on a farm on the north side
    7 km up from huts
    didnt go for a fish but am going to in the moring
    from where we are sea looks fine
    but its hard to tell!!!
    where are you staying
    ??

fishforpot
    Participant

You guys should get a room lol ……seriously tho , theres a souwester due in the am ….tonight would have been primo …..

Long range is looking awesome for some super light lining come Monday

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

tonite was primo your right on the ball fish4pot fished for ten minutes south of bayleys..lotsa flotsam and driftwood..but one cast 7.45pm one fish :grin: cooked prawn tied on with a little fresh mussel…and off home i went..Im getting sick of blatting past fishermen on the beach..not knowing whos who and some are on here..how do the forum users ID themselves..or should I say how can we?white armband?Im sure sometimes we want to chat about conditions etc..when we meet on the beach..seems stupid coming back to the forum and saying “was that you fullas???”….But .”Was that you fullas???at Bayleys??”

yellowfin
    Participant

rakaia was up to 5700 cubic mtrs on Tuesday, probably a few more trees still to float your way

St_Paul
    Participant

Birdlingsflat

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.