Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

HIPP

Miliwolf
    Participant

St_Paul

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

A fraction beyond the breakers seems best from Birdlings to Bayleys..the big concentration of fish feeding seem to be right in close..my veiw anyway..
    heres my fav hooks A and B long shanks work for me.and have never bent or snapped…I never know the sizes!!.C work very well but a bugger to get out…D and E are experimental for me this year..but the long shanks enable me to retrieve them easier.. :grin: STILL blowing like hell down at the beach!!

Participant

hey milli went up kaikoura last nite for some crays (got my limit) and decided to shoot up to clarence beach (by the humps on the road) for couple hours as had surfcasters on board.You guys have some beaut beachs up that way aye very very deep beach compaired to what we have here in canterbury, seemed the longer the cast the bigger the fish ended up getting 1 conger,4 gillers average size 6 foot biggest just over 7foot dropped another 6 gillers as well . They seemed very shy on the bite but travelling in packs as both rods would go over at nearly the same time

fishforpot
    Participant

I hope you released most of them ? limit is 1 from memory

yellowfin
    Participant

Limit is one for most the bigger species of sharks I think. Not sure that the beaches up there are that much deeper than some of the canturbury ones south from birdlings flat etc. There’s definitely a LOT more seven gillers around kaikoura though almost hooked one every trip up there and if I haven’t someone else has. Nearly all my seven gillers have been at Kaikoura compared to ONE I’ve had south of Christchurch which was at Rangitata.

Participant

Yes i know the limit i have been fishing for over 25 yrs and why would i want to kill something that i dont want to eat, Im a Fisherman not a trophy hunter like some on here !!! Just because i did not say i released them does not mean i keeped any of them,once again some common sense would go along way :evil:

Participant

Yeh zac they seem abit more common up there for sure , i just cant ever remember having such a hot bite time with them

yellowfin
    Participant

Have heard of them travelling in groups around there. I know their was a day PierMaster fished in front of the railway station he got heaps and have heard of guys that throw their fish frames etc off the wharf they’ve seen groups of 4 or 5 turn up.

Miliwolf
    Participant

There is no limit on the number of Sevengillers you are allowed to keep when fishing in Challenger, although school shark (tope) are part of the 20 finfish daily limit. That beach you fish is typically excellent fishing this time of year, a normal summers trip would be to arrive, catch 4-5 large Sevengillers and/or Topes then drive home exhausted after a couple of hours. Have not fished it this year, but might go down sometime in January. It heaps on fun to have two sevengillers on at once, have landed both on several occasions.

elmo22
    Participant

as said in earlyer post was going to bayles today but as wind was still up did not nice and calm here in town now 8.45pm wont be fishing now till i go over to the west coast and go in the 10 day fishing comp north of westport that i go in all the time26th….4th always have a great time and if to rough to fish these alway a comp in the local bar that we can enjoy lol

St_Paul
    Participant

Miliwolf

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

All calm here now at Birdlings Flat few guys setting up for the night between here and Bayleys..all hoping for Rig or whatever..lovely full moon evening….clear water nil wind :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Hopefully things would clear up a bit by Friday night for my traditional Christmas eve Snapper fish.

Mustad demons are one of only a few hooks which are straight eye and non-offset circles. Most circle hooks have a offset which increases the chance of large Snapper being hooked deep. It only seems to be a problem when stray lining without any weight. Owner SSW In-Line are another option and I think Eagle Claw also has one. Unfortunately all of these hooks cost around $2.00 rather then the $0.50 which I am prepared to pay for Snapper hooks.

yellowfin
    Participant

the limit for seven gillers is one. i have it right here in the book

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.