Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    elmo22
    Participant

i fish with 2 rods 1 hook on each differnt baits on each no fish on any lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

Birdlingsflat

HIPP
    Participant

we got a7 giller in Stewart Island two year ago, I filleted it straight away,froze it down bought it home cooked some up and it was horrible!!!!

maybe too old, never again for me.

Cheers hipp

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

I found them very near dead after a hard fight..so I try and leave them in the water and cut the trace,,dont target them anymore..seem uneatable to me..just got back from past bayleys..two for the pot..caught and released 3 small rig as well. :grin: this time I used a shrimp/mussel combo bait..seemed to work well…

fishforpot
    Participant

Nice …..how many K’s past baileys ? …

Hoping for a flat morning or not over the weekend …..still got this ultralight gear ready to rock …….

yellowfin
    Participant

Heres a couple of pics from last night.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

I just go half a k past bayleys.(sometimes a little further)I like to get away from the groups at Bayleys..lotsa dolphins working today..you may see my quad tracks…good luck fish4pot..nice fish vip_yo :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Been fishing 2 rods lately one with crab other with fish baits. If the rig and eles are on bite you’ll find you don’t need to have two rods out with crab or you’ll be hooking up on both or not having time to keep the both baited up. I know people like PierMaster fish 3 or 4 rods at a time all with crab baits and have good success though.

As for seven gillers I’ve released all of the ones I’ve had apart from the first one I ever caught. First one was filleted and I didn’t think it was that bad eating although it was a smaller one around 4 or 5 foot apparently the bigger they get the worse they are to eat. I don’t really see the point in eating things like seven gillers especially since they’re decreasing in numbers and it’s not that hard to go out and catch something a bit more plentiful to eat.

Swell conditions looking great for the weekend and looks like it’s gonna be a nice day tomorrow.

mulletman
    Participant

do you ever catch things in bright sunny days, clear water, round mid-day, because i dont

yellowfin
    Participant

kahawai and herrings during the day.. occasional doggy or schooly. But all the good stuff happens change of light morning or night :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah catch herring and kahawai during the day for bait that night. I’ve still had some decent fish during the day even on really bright sunny days when the water has been clear as but other times it’s just been completely dead.

HIPP
    Participant
    Miliwolf
    Participant

mulletman

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for another fish tonight, it poured with rain all night and the wind never really picked up. Found myself fishing Monkey Bay around 8pm. Two rods again, both initially baited with cooked prawn. Threw my crab pot off the rocks.. After a while a medium-large rig grabbed my prawn bait and it was landed. Were catching reasonable number of crabs so baited one rod with fresh crab. Two more medium size Rig was then caught over fading light on the crab bait. Caught plenty of paddle crabs which is also nice to have in the freezer.

Was a reasonable swell smashing in, tide was fairly high, warm humid night with a occasional breeze and spit of rain. Moon also rose just before I lift around 10pm.

HIPP
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.