Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    Birdlingsflat
    Participant

dirty water this morning with three commercial boats working the eles..heres a shot early morning 6 am looking from the carpark.he has his anchor light on guess the skipper is having a quick kip before he drags some more fish outa the briny this morning…decided to go out after lunch today for a shot in the beautiful nor/wester..where the wind turns your 50m cast into a 200 mtre cast..

yellowfin
    Participant

I thought the commercial guys had to stay a certain distance from shore now???
    They must get a heap when they trawl in close like that.

HIPP
    Participant

I thought so too, does anyone know?

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

hes at anchor??!!white light on mast..not trawling..so long as they have quota they can do what they like other than set netting and pair trawling out here..and they can do what they like as far as distance from the shore..but i have spoken to some of them and they do stay a fair way out..commercial fishing all over nz needs to be abolished where its not sustainable!Bloody stupid fishing commercially during spawning!..and recreational people who go way overboard.. :shock:

yellowfin
    Participant

I think there should also be a size limit on rig and eles. Have seen the boats coming in at the Timaru wharf and the size of some of the eles I saw was crazy some smaller than I’ve ever caught on a rod.

yellowfin
    Participant

Why would you anchor there?? They usually steam around if cleaning/sorting fish or getting gear ready.

I’ve been on a couple of trawlers out of akaroa when I used to live there. Was crazy the amount of fish that gets thrown back dead or mushed up in the bottom of the bag.

and agree on the size thing. Much like the bairly takeable snapper that turns up in the supermarkets.

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice catch and pics there Beamer! Where do you guys get your crabs from round here? round where I am its all like Beamers driveway :) and I couldn’t envisage having much luck with a crab pot

beameer
    Participant

went out this morning for a couple of hours ,conditions good for casting sea a little dirty got a couple of good cow’s both on squid today
    They truely are an amazing fish!! :lol: Crab just foul hooked while fishing from the beach at Coopers

yellowfin
    Participant

What’s it like out there at the moment? Might go out to wakanui later on.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

went out with my friend and neighbour out this evening for his first Ele..here he is..caught on half squid and half shrimp..man he was happy :grin:

personally I think the ele saw his shirt just as we were thinking about packing up and imediatly dropped opened its mouth in awe!!!

oldgreyboy
    Participant

vip yo the rules are a trawler is allowed into 1 mile if the headline is below a certain height if it above that its a mile and a half set netters have to stay 4 miles off the beach at all times

magooes
    Participant

Hi Birdlings, whats the conditions like out there today? Mite head out tonight for a fish . Cheers

fisherman24
    Participant

hi guys,am new to surfcast and fished a bit in winter but just got dog fish tho.But i went out for my first surfcast trip for the summer last night at birdlings and got a 22lb rig :grin: took me 20 min to land it and got it on raw prawns.just cant wait to get out again now

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

AHHH! we saw you I was on the first quad that went past..I saw your fish and gave you a toot.great fishing mate.. :grin: :grin: .great rig!any photos?

CONDITIONS TODAY..very blustery with a wind blowing on shore from the sea..very choppy sea..but all this may change in the evening..bunch of fishos down there trying their luck today..they dont look too flustered..I will be having an evening shot if the wind and breakers go down..(fishable but blustery)2.30 pm..the eles seem just in the waves at the mo..so not casting far enough aint an issue..cheers

Bloke from the salmon farm in akaroa harbour reckons some of the fishing fleet are cleaning their fish just inside the harbour and theres a few orca hanging about…and a few large shark types…

fisherman24
    Participant

oh right was that u.yes got a few nice pics but dont no how to post pics on here?

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.