Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Nice catch there BirdlingsFlat, good bit of motivation for me to get out to the beach!

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Thanks mate..looks like a real bright sunny day out there..swell is not too bad now..good luck to all who venture out there :grin:

HIPP
    Participant

headding to coopers this evening I think, thanks fior the info birdlings, tight lines, Cheers, Hipp

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went out for a Surfcast off the beach near Rarangi, three rods but one reel failed… So fished only two… Had cockle on one which basically went untouched all evening. The other I baited with cooked or raw prawn and caught two moderate size lemons around dusk, first for the season. Apart from a couple of shooting stars nothing happened after dark, fished until 10:30pm. Warm wind, and reasonably calm sea. Short casts were the key.

HIPP
    Participant

Fished Coopers Lagoon Beach till dark,just home now,

sea still big at times,dirty and still blowing veriable N/E ,

cooked prawns got hammerd by crabs, caught the largest paddle crab ive ever seen, no fish though!!!

We cooked up the large claws and body on the fire and used the legs for the last baits of the evening,still nothing. :?

hopefully the Rig will be hot on the heels of the crab.

hope you guys did better than I.

Cheers, Hipp

yellowfin
    Participant

just got back from birdlings,got a red cod about 38cm long but lost handle to my reel so had to call it quits

yellowfin
    Participant

Went up to the pier for a few hours tonight. Lots of small schoolies around and a few doggies. Couple guys got a few rig and one decent sized one. One of the asians also hooked a really decent sized schoolie, woulda been over 4 foot, had it under the pier ready to gaff but lost it trying to get the gaff in. All I got was small schoolies although had one short run on a whole herring bait didn’t stay hooked though.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Just spent half an hour-ish past Baylys.(my early morn fish).one elephant fish reasonable size.on cooked prawn.biggish dumpers..nearly getting unfishable for me..others down there were doing well :grin:

mulletman
    Participant

so what do you guys think the best bait for elephant fish is, im keen to get quite a few this christmas but squid has not been working for me

fishforpot
    Participant

Paua meat is probably up there …..nothing else hits it , and the crabs take forever to eat it …..best if your targeting ONLY eles

Half large crab , no legs , no shell , body folded over on itself to protect the meat ……rig hit it , but eles love it too

They love tuatua , but other pickers rip it up too quick …… in an ideal world where the food chain is in balance , tuatua is the go ……but sadly that isnt the case

Also caught them on fresh strips of mullet ….but as above , other fish are in there too quick

beameer
    Participant

went out for a look on the spit this morning between 0700 and 1000 we got a couple of nice elle’ and lost a couple sea wasn’t to bad until the tide turned then the wind and waves picked up ,got one on squid and one on crab leg

beameer
    Participant

a

mulletman
    Participant

what spit? new brighton?

fishforpot
    Participant

Yeah mulletman , south brighton spit ………clearly he took the pics at home on his shingled driveway

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Yup Beamers got a HUGE driveway..lol….now the winds blowing like 40 ba..t..rds out here fingers crossed for an early morning lull..
    and I have a new lot of fresh new world prawns to use..Thats my fav bait now..I noticed the last few eles had the brown egg casings in them..so theyre spawning right now..How long who knows?before they become less prolific in the days ahead.fingers crossed.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.