Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

yeah im sure the 4 babes were stoked to be near me too :D

Miliwolf
    Participant

Would explain why they stayed there for three hours.

St_Paul

Miliwolf
    Participant

The weather has been cold, wet and windy for the last few days, but tonight the southerly cleared so headed down to Seaview for a evening fish. Sea was fishable, with a 1-1.5m swell crushing into the beach and there was a chill still in the air. High tide was around 8pm. Fished three rods with three different baits, raw prawn, cooked prawn and large cockle. Only action was after dark when two of the pawns were taken by Red Cod :cry: The line did snap on my cockle rod when I was not watching it, but doubt it was a fish. Back in the car shortly before 10.00pm.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Sea still big and unfishable at Birdlings! Hoping for it to quieten down today for an evening fish…fingers crossed :smile:

HIPP
    Participant

Thanks for the update Birdlings,

I am hopeing so too, maybe going to Coopers if weather etc good.

Cheers, Hipp

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

still dumpers out there..bugger!

heres an article on elephant fish and how they see colour like us..

http://www.xray-mag.com/content/elephan … lour-we-do

HIPP
    Participant

Interesting artical, thanks for the update Birdlings,

Ill be staying away today, raining here in town too.

Cheers, Hipp

elmo22
    Participant

thanks four the update birdling flat i was going to go out to bayleys at day break but looks to rough from your info will sleep in thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

http://swellmap.com/reg_forecasts.php?tag=BirdF#anchor

Not looking that good although might calm down enough by Sunday afternoon looking at swellmap. Might have a trip up to the Pier or lyttelton if the rain stops.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out spencerville this morning, no luck tho :(
    Could anyone maybe post pics of how they put their crabs on the hooks, ima tad unsure

Cheers :grin:

Mal
    Participant

winds just changed to a light,warm nor’wester down here

yellowfin
    Participant

I usually cut the crabs in half and take the shell off first. Then put one half on the hook and secure it with cotton. It helps to have a bit of lumo tube or something on your trace so you can tie the legs of the crab to it and keep everything secure.

fishforpot
    Participant

As above , feed the hook thru the underbelly and out again …fold it over a little on itself to shelter the guts etc ….use whole crab if small , otherwise half

I rip all the legs off normally , unless targeting rig alone ……….without the legs , the bait is deadly on ele’s and just as effective on rig …casts better without legs too which will help at Spencers

If your lonelining etc , leave the legs ….and try paua meat for the ele’s

I found the ele’s somewhat timid when long lining , would advise targeting rig on one set , ele’s on the next , or vice versa ….could never imagine an ele chasing around a bait being towed around by a rig

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Sea has calmed down still some sets of dumpers..but managed an hour of fishing at dawn..2 eles…yum..
    will try again later in the day..gotta take a newbie surfcasting mate out..

these two this morning on new world prawn held on by red rubber bands

Miliwolf
    Participant

I break off a leg then push the hook through the socket and out through the center of the chest. Then use a generous amount of bait elastic to tie the remaining legs around the line like zac.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.