Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

nup definately a piper lol

oldgreyboy
    Participant

went surfcasting south of timaru this morn didnt get there untill 11 am had things to do be4 that but a line in the water has a chance , got two cow ellies one medium and a big one on squid

elmo22
    Participant

went to spencer park got there 5.30am fished to 8.30am pipi and squid 4 bait got crabed out no bites high tide 7.30.. thinking off going to bayley on sat morning but swell map not 2 flash anyone got any ideas of were 2 go

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

fishforpot
    Participant

elmo , Ive fished Spencer park a heap over the last 10-15yrs …….if you can get yourself 4km down towards the river mouth you will do a lot better …….

Ive also found , as well as crab , squid and tuatua , strip baits of fresh mullet work well on the elephants there ….BUT , all those baits will get horribly outfished by chunks of paua meat ….
    Ive fished it dozens of times next to a local who uses paua , he always caught 3 to my one on average …unless I had paua …..
    I think its about on par for attractiveness to the ele’s ………but nothing else really touches it , so it gets left for the eles …and the crabs take way way longer to pick at it

elmo22
    Participant

i have fished down there for the last 20 odd years also i drive down the beach and fish near the why-mac mouth…r u talking about lindsey with paua for bait.. about this time last year i got my limt down there in 2hrs and used pipi for bait….it was me who started taking simon down there amd as you have posted b 4 you have fished with him at spencer beach…people are only getting the odd one eley on there torpedo so cant be much around yet water only 13.5 warm so still abit cold hope this warm weather will warm up water am going to go up to mankua bay sat moring for a fish so hope to get some thing there…..of to get pipi and crab at low tide down southshore tight lines every one

oldgreyboy
    Participant

went surfcasting this morn south of timaru 6.30 am got nothing except a large crab there were 16 large eliie heads on the beach a german tourist who stayed the nite there in a camper said he watched some guys catch them from 6 pm till 9pm

yellowfin
    Participant

oldgreyboy

elmo22
    Participant

change off plan r going to go to bayleys will be there at day break and fish to approx 9.30–10am will post when i get back hoping not to rough

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

jeez 16 eles!!Very Greedy!West coast was great..lotsa schoolies..and a shitload of Kahawai..heres some shots..we reckoned we caught and released over 30 kahawai and came home with half a doz we smoked no snapper but lotsa action..ate lotsa mussels and fried up some lovely yellow eyed mullet..the wekas ate the scraps..highlight was charlie exploding the glass shower door at gentle annie camp..we picked bitsa glass out of his head for ages..

elmo22
    Participant

nice kahawai birdlings flat did you get them at genntle annie or the mouth of the river …. whats the sea like out your way am going to bayles in moring is it fishable thanks

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

mostly at the river mouth but 3 on bait {baby squid} in amongst the school sharks off the beach….sea looks good at Baylys..should be good if theres not too much wind..good luck

St_Paul
    Participant

fished Kaikoura on wednesday night/thursday morning. fished kowai mouth on weds 2 x large kahawai on spin gear, 4 skate on surf gear. Fished the gravel pits on the outgoing tide on Thursday 1 Large schoolie and about 10 small kahawai. Suspect it’ll go off after acouple of norwest days. Does anyone know when the lions comp is this year?

fishforpot
    Participant

Yes elmo ……poor Lindsay has lost his house from what I hear …..

Oh , and I wont fish the Lions comp at Kaiks again ….I mentioned some time back about the year the daughter won it , only to have some magic shark appear , or not appear , just the figures in the score book ……
    I heard from a mate who was talking to a guy fishing next to the “winner” , and the bloke will never go back …..the 7 giller the guy was meant to have caught was non existant

Something similar happened the year before when I know for a fact I won it …magic fish again ……..

Sad to say its rigged , but it sure was those 2 years ……the only 2 Ive fished it ……..even the guy who used to run a local sports store told me it’s always won by locals , end of story ……

yellowfin
    Participant

Went up to Kaikoura on thursday night. Andrew(PierMaster) was already at the wharf so went there first and put the sabiki trace down with no bait and caught three small kahawai at once. Packed up and went over to the beach and fished for a few hours. Lots of carpet sharks around and a few dogfish but I got a seven giller later on that was pretty much a dead weight, got it to the beach before someone decided to grab the shockleader instead of the tail and it snapped leaving it to swim off with my good trace in it’s mouth. Fished at the beach again the next morning, caught carpet sharks, red cod and kahawai between us. Big schools of kahawai but they were all really small ones got about 20 between the three of us on lures, we were hooking up literally a couple meters out. Went for a look over at the wharf again and saw some big schools of mullet and kahawai going past. Only managed one kahawai on the lure though. Went back to the beach again after that but not much happening being the middle of the day with no swell and clear as water although saw a good sized stingray cruising a couple meters out. Andrew caught a frostfish out of the breakers by hand that was sick as but still alive so took it for bait. Swell picked up a lot later on so went back to the wharf got a few barracouta saw some small schools of squid and a few piper swimming around. Earlier in the day we also saw a pretty big squid swimming around that was totally different to the normal ones I’ve seen there before.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.