Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    St_Paul
    Participant

nice fish mili, certate scores again! and I fish the same way you do even with the fly rod

Miliwolf
    Participant

Nah, last two Big Snappers got caught on a Abu Garcia Soron spooled with 8lb fireline. Awesome reel, just don’t like saltwater.

My Cerate caught the 14lber earlier in the year but currently in its box waiting for me to remember to send it off for repairs/service.

Probably would buy a Soron STX60 to use beside my Certate once its repaired, my current Soron a STX40 while powerful enough does not really balance the rods I use. Would run 14lb fireline on both.

HIPP
    Participant

Fished at Coopers Lagoon Wed night, with Cooked Prawn, Sea flat and clean, slight N wind, my cobber got 3 small doggies, small fish stripping baits, prberbly more of the same,

No evidance of proir catches on the high tide mark.

Any of you guys go there?: and how do you get on?

Cheers, Hipp

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to a club competition there earlier this year but didn’t have any luck on the day as it always seems to be the case when its a competition. There’s a photo on this site of a 40kg skate caught there but otherwise I’d say it’s the same as every other beach along that coastline there’s not really much point saying one spot is really good for a certain species cos they’re pretty much all the same although depth might be a bit different. In saying that at some spots you do seem to catch more of a certain species than you would at another beach further down the coast.

HIPP
    Participant

Yeah Zac,

Im sure you are right, but you just never know , so I thought I would ask,

For many of my teenage years and into my early twenties it was my spot, but it took years to find out about crab, Rig and Eles,

It was always, Red Cod, Dogfish school sharks and the odd Kahawai, Though my ex did hook a Moki there once….that sure was a suprise never since though.

thanks for your comments, cheers steve

oldgreyboy
    Participant

went whitebaiting this morn got 4 let them go came home to find i left my oilskin on the beach the sea was flat so grabbed two rods and some squid off for a schoolie got to the beach it had turned to the south and was blowing so went to another beach with some shelter got a brat schoolie then the rod bent ok i thinks fish an chips tonite it was a carpet shark then it started raining no hat or coat who cares im gonna get tea another carpet shark then a big crab got caught in the trace so came home with somthing lol.

HIPP
    Participant

I herd about some sizable crabs getting caught off the ashburton rivermouth area, tasty if you can get them big enough

fishforpot
    Participant

Fished Kaikoura nrth this morning …..skate were prolific , and a complete pain in the arse
    Kahawai were just as plentiful , ended up using the bait rod , and spinning for them ….taking a feed of small ones which will be crumbed ….yum , and 1 big one which will be made into fish patties …double yum

Mate took the same ….and we released heaps

Guys along from us caught a barracouta which was incredibly healthy looking …….fat as hell and super solid

Other mates went to Gore bay , or around the corner from it at least , 1 of them got his quota of crays in 5 feet of water snorkling….the other dived 2-3mtrs and said it was cray city

yellowfin
    Participant

At the start of the year Piermaster caught a cray off the beach at the railway station lol At kaikoura you got crays eating your bait instead of crabs.

Could possibly be going up to kaikoura next weekend for a day or three weather looks good on the long range forecast.

oldgreyboy
    Participant

better day today south of timaru two buck eles and a mediiun size cow ele

baitman
    Participant

Fished Wakanui midday today 4 ele’s all around 4kg plus some smaller ones all on cooked prawn, plenty of rods out down the beach cracker day too :)

HIPP
    Participant

Good to see they are still about and some good size ones too, i hope to get out again this week, Cheers for the update

yellowfin
    Participant

fished pier yesterday afternoon. got decent sized kahawai. a mate caught a baby kahawai that had a baby conger eel in its mouth and he also got a piper wich i thought was quite unusual for up on the pier but hey, i guess theres a first for everything

fishforpot
    Participant

Sam ! , you sure it wasnt a baby broadie ?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Finally made it down the coast to Salty for a Rig fish, two rods out one with raw, the other with cooked prawn. Sea was calm and the wind was only a cold draft. No fish, not even a nibble. No paddle crabs caught in the pot either. Fished from 7:30-9:30pm :( Would try again in a week or two :) Having to much fun chasing trout to spend much time on Rig this year I suspect.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.