Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    troutfishernz
    Participant

Yes very nice Snapper. Spent many times fishing for snapper in Nelson and Malborough and the biggest I cought was only 7lb.

Fished Timaru this morning, was a waste of time really had a couple of hits on cooked prawn bait. but other than that is was very quiet with only a small doggie cought :( .

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yup nice snaps Milli keep those coming and you will be right !cheers :grin:

baitman
    Participant

Fished wakanui around midday today caught a 15lb rig in dirty water.
    Only fish an hour before the white horsese were everywhere.
    Saw a couple of smallish ele’s being cleaned by some blokes with a torpedo.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished kaikoura over the weekend. Decent amount of kahawai around got a few on the spinner when the schools came down the beach. Fished mostly at the railway station beach, caught skate, red cod, conger, carpet sharks and dogfish so still the winter species around. Did hear there was a few seven gillers caught though. Probably give it another month for the fishing to really improve, the wharf seemed dead and the light that usually lights up the water at night is broken.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi all, fished Pendarves yesterday, two small schoolies landed, two bust offs one of which almost took my rod after the drag didnt release the line and the rod pulled half out of the holder :( guessing these were larger school sharks althou one was on crab and the water was pretty filthy. Good just to get out on the beach :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey guys, how much credence if any do you give to the phase of the moon before planning a trip?..does it make a huge difference, and are there any stages of the moon that you would never bother fishing under?

fishforpot
    Participant

I used to poo poo it , and a mate swore by it ….as the years have gone by , I have to admit there is a lot more to it than met the eye ………

The solar lunar chart my mate uses it so close to bang on you can set your watch by it when fishing for blue cod …..all the other fish seem to feed more at the better times etc

It gives you 2 windows , major and minor bite times for each tide …..as well as rating the days good fair bad etc …..

Of course, any fishing is better than no fishing ……..but it’s worthy of looking into

yellowfin
    Participant

Greg’s sevengiller from Kaikoura from the weekend. I wasn’t there, was up in Auckland but posted for Greg because he hasn’t got the net atm, around 6ft and est weight 65kg

yellowfin
    Participant

and it was released back into the sea, caught at the railway station

St_Paul
    Participant

Kahawai are running @ the wairau bar and diversion. Got 6 over 2 kg this morning. :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Good stuff paul.I am looking at getting into those down here as well.Got a mate who lives in Kaikoura and will call him to see if they are appearing there.Boy do they smoke up well.Only second to salmon.

St_Paul
    Participant

can also confirm they are about off kaikoura, decent schools along the railway station and off the mouth of the kowai river.
    Heading out for a snapper fish tonight! Yay Summer!

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes SHIT loads of kahawai in kaikoura up there last weekend there was thousands of them got about 15 one day and lost 20 plus all in two hours. not many others were tatching them as there were about 70m off the beach so no ne could cast quite far enough.

Just got back from a surf cast left home at 3am got a 3-4kg rig about 6am and got a few good hits also

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished Amberly beach one hour before sunrise.Tides and moon phases perfect.Beautiful sunrise, but not a sausage.Highlight was crabs nibbling bait.A good tide and moon still have to coincide with fish actually being out in front of you.Memo to self……dont give up!

yellowfin
    Participant

fished out at southbridge today, about 3-4 hours but only got 3 doggies and a skate

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.