Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

great fish Ian.You have almost got a smile on the dial.LOL

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

nah that twas an all blacks grin .thanks sock and elm…still very happy..just split it up for my fellow villagers here..they are smiling too..cheers guys :grin: :grin:

HIPP
    Participant

Good job Birdlings,wont be long and ill be out having ago,

thanks for the updates all,

cheers, Hipp

fishforpot
    Participant

Should have played “guess the weight” ….Id have been 7-8 lb’s out …..sure Ross didnt supply you the scale Ian ??? lol …..bloody hard to tell looking at a photo tho

Almost came out myself last night , even got fresh crabs early afternoon , but couldnt be fagged in the end ….another week or so and the ele’s should be here , that’s what I want

yellowfin
    Participant

Ele’s should be around now. Got my first one 16 October at wakanui last year.

fishforpot
    Participant

I heard of a few at Spencers Park last week …males tho … better than nothing for sure tho

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yes graham twas Ross’s digital and my manual scales..maybe both are “Rigged”lol..the mother was a tad heavier till it puked paddlers..some big claws too!You will have to put yourself on here one day with some of your fish. :razz:

one of the locals up the valley reckons they got a rig and an ele last week 1kish past bayleys-they had paddlers and squid for bait..I reckon theyre out there now just thin on the ground..I think the fact that the fishing boats are out there is obvious sign.. :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Never seen a pic from graham. Enjoy hearing his stories though, especially the thresher at the waimac in September (aka the piece of driftwood bobbing around in the surf rofl)

fishforpot
    Participant

Funny thing is , another forum member was standing beside me while we watched it doing its thing ….

Probably a once in a lifetime sight …..though I did see one come out the front of a wave at Baileys many years ago , 1 flick of its tail and it was thru the wave and back into open water

elmo22
    Participant

last week was big swells and surging at spencer park, didnt see any one rod fishing any days that i went down the beach whitebaiting

fishforpot
    Participant

I suspect the rig heads I saw were caught on torpedo’s …2 were on Saturday , caught while I was down whitebaiting ……the other I’d have to track back thru the threads on here to find the day , may have been late the week before .. looked pretty fresh when I found it tho….same distance from the entrance , so likely the same fisherman

Edited to add , Ians rig looks a lot bigger in the cover photo ….shows how deceptive photos can be ….

Miliwolf
    Participant

I was planning to head over to the Grey District for the long weekend but the forecast was not the best, so a last minute change of plans saw me head to the Sounds. The fishing begun slowly, with only a mullet and spottie being caught before dusk. There was a lot of action around sunset, but nothing hooked.

The night darken, and hundreds of moths took to the air. Around 9 oclock, I was busy playing a game on my phone (bored) when I heard a whizzing sound. Turned my light on to see one of the rods bent over and losing line. The fish put up a decent fight, including a mighty jump before being played into the Shallows. A nice fat mature spotty was landed

Just had time to rebait, seat down, and restart my game when my other rod bent over and my second snapper of the season quickly followed. This one was much smaller, a good eating size but it was released. After a few more minutes, my reel start screaming off line, what followed was probably my longest Snapper fight ever, complete with a jump and multiple runs. Then a large Snapper in excellent condition was landed.

“>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was unable to get any good size comparison, but here is one with the Snapper and my Penn Slammer in the same frame… bare in mind the reel is closer to the camera so appears larger. Sorry about the crap quality photo’s, my Motorola Defy takes terrible photos during the day and even worst ones at night. So not a bad result for my second Snapper trip of the spring. Would of stayed on the rocks longer, but it had started to rain, more a wet drizzle…. All fishing was down over the outgoing tide.

yellowfin
    Participant

Love the big head on that snapper, good catch! What do you think its weight was?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I guess the first one was 15lb, while the second around 20lb… Could easily add or subtract 4lb from my guesses….

HIPP
    Participant

Nice Snapper Miliwolf, 2 land base snapper of that size is agreat result,nice one. Hipp

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.