Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

I do not believe lumo tube does much to attract fish, although is does provide a bit of extra durability to the line and makes the line a bit harder to tangle.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

I guess that is one point against Lumo Tube versus the several million for it and one wonders then, if it makes no difference or holds no attraction value, how do you explain why every tackle manufacturer in the world uses some sort of luminous value in every rig made?
    There are many other products that could be utilised for durability and tangle resistance….. but lumo tube is the most widely used, and that is why tons and tons of it are sold JUST IN NZ each year, not to mention the rest of the world.
    It is what is referred to within the tackle trade as “industry standard”.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The same reason why people pay hundreds of dollars for a certain allotrope of carbon. Marketing.

If you want to know wither something is effective, the place to look is the commercial sector. Glow Beads and other lumo material is not widely used on commercial Long line, if it provided a significant benefit it would be used. If you want to use light, go the whole hog and use a glow stick. If Lumo was effective it would be find on almost all Jigs, lures and spinners. These devices relay primary on sight to attract fish, have a look at Rapalas’s selection, they are the biggest lure maker in the world in a extremely competitive industry, how many of their colours include lumo? , look at any of their competitors, how many of them include lumo?

I sometime use lumo tube and beads not because its going to catch more fish, but because they are widely available and often cheaper then their non-lumo alternatives.

yellowfin
    Participant

Lumo- interesting subject,

If it was no good why did the commercial long liners and deep water fisherman use to use GLOW BAIT one of the best products in the market.
    Why is the top end made Jigs, Poppers and Stick Baits made with A UV Blast product( glows blue in the dark)
    It has been proven by the powers to be the safety mechanism of plankton is UV blue (glows in the dark)
    Proven Broad Bill are catch with Squid and lumo products art night.
    Catching Pillies off a wharf at night – lumo flies.
    Lumo products are the most effect way of catching fish at night,

Alot of bait fish eyes glow at night as does snapper,rig,moki just look at the colours of the fish you catch at night- I think this is a no brainer, either that or do we tell the guys like Chad (and me) we talking crap I dont think so.

I dont really care what is said regarding this as nearly every one I know in the fishing game uses some form of Lumo products, but then again could be clever marketing world wide ….. :wink:

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant

Hmmm yea,, i use lumo tube really just for line protection more than anything , ocassionally will use beads for “bling” so to say either Lumo or non lumo i dont care, i Agree with both sides really, sounds odd i know, But it mus glow for a reason, and yes im sure it will attract some fish, but also i dont see it catching “more” fish than non lumo, from personal experience, i have caught just as many fish in the middle of the night on traces with no lumo as i have with lumo,

HookLineSinker
    Participant

I would have to say its a shame when some half wit (fishybishy) starts turning things personal, just because they are a retailer of such products. There is alot to be said for observation, can you now for everyone you feel going to read mili’s post give us fishybishy some hard scientific evidence that glow tubing (i mean does it really improve catchrates) really does work or avoid trying to shoot mili down who i must say appears to be a very accomplished and very invested fisherman who spends many more hours on, in or besides water with rod in hand, experience counts for alot. I for one do use lumo not because of some marketing retailer trying to sell me stuff but because i feel it cant hurt to have it on there, and are we talking just about nite fishing or daytime to. Maybe before you start shooting from the hip give some consideration to others observational points of view and leave the personal slagging out of the forums, its shame to see slagging off occur on these forums, we are all intitled to views unless they can be proven wrong by science they are as good as true as the next persons. Go ahead have a personal rant at me too i know you will.

yellowfin
    Participant

COme on boys its winter Chill, well try keep warm, Guess this lack of fishing is starting to get to some of us,

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Why does everyone dive for the scientific evidence box when they can’t substantiate what they themselves are stating?

I have already made clear to the members and visitor readers that the use of luminous components in tackle manufacture is simply “industry standard”, without which punters when in a tackle store would tend toward the products adorned with added glow than those without.

I hope this pic uploads correctly which will give you an idea of where some of these ideas stem from, and it could actually be referred to as “scientific evidence”.

Blatant statements like the obvious one above, replied to by myself and another member (who is also connected to the tackle trade) are damaging and misguided and simply shouldn’t be written.
    If you feel I cut him down severely, I make no apology, he is taking on not just myself in that comment but every retailer, wholesaler and manufacturer in NZ and worldwide and that needed to be addressed.
    Now back to that scientific request….

yellowfin
    Participant

no wonder we cant find nemo hes been eaten

yellowfin
    Participant

nothing wrong with abit of banter.found this which may help- this is off a Aussie forum I work with along with a few others

My preference is to fish the three way dropper rigs with two snelled 6/0 Owner black SSW Needlepoint hooks. A size 5 Owner bead is then pushed over the eye of the front hook (of the snelled hooks). I then use a 2” glow squid on the bottom dropper – the squid sits nicely on the soft bead and stops it being pulled over the hook”
    Author: Joff Weston

Ever heard of the euphotic zone? That’s the part of the ocean from the surface to about two hundred metres.
    The Euphotic zone (eu – good/ photic – light) is important because light can penetrate this far down and allows photosynthesis to occur. It is alsomost relevant to this article.
    Now I certainly don’t have a degree in physics but I do understand that white light slows down when entering a heavier medium than air (like water) and then separates into individual colours – red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet.These colours have differing wave lengths and penetrating power – the red is less penetrating than the violet.
    So some light manages to get down to two hundred metres but not all light. I can recall watching an acoustic video,filmed during the Samson Science project off Rottnest once that had managed to capture a jaw dropping amount of Samson fish swimming around in about one hundred metres of water.The thing that struck me instantly is the amount of light that actually penetrates that far down. Iguess most anglers would imagine,as I did, that it would be pretty dark down that far but there was sufficient light to cause shadows on fish caused by other Samson swimming above.
    After watching that video my ideas about the use of luminous attractants like squid and the various beads available on the market somewhat waned when fishing offshore in depths up to about a hundred metres.I figured that if there was this much light down that far then how effective could “glowing anything’s” be??
    A couple of very good anglers and fishing buddies Dave Woolford – from Tackle World Mindarie and Mick Antonello, had been keeping very tight lipped about certain tricks they were using. I finally got it out of them that they had managed to nab two twenty-plus kilo West Aussie Jewfish in as many weeks.
    Actually to say “I finally got it out of them” that they were on a hot streak is not quite true. You see, that’s all we heard out of these two fishing addicts for almost a week after!!!
    But to nab those sorts of fish in such a short time definitely warrants a fair whack of high nosing.Dave went on to tell me that they used a few different configurations for their bottom rigs but the main reason why they had been enjoying so much successwas due to the use of glow beads.
    They ran swivels directly off the drop line, which were supported by two hard beads and crimped on either side of the bead. This was to position it in the correct spot – pretty clever.
    A little while later I spoke to another local bloke who told me he had been using different luminous beads and had caught significantly higher numbers of fish since starting to use them.
    The weird thing was that both parties fished mainly in water depths of fifty metres (or less) and swore by the use of a luminescent attractant. Apparently it doesn’t have to be pitch black for a luminescent object to work. They work as soon as the light is reduced – perhaps by white light dispersion?
    It was around this time that we started to see the various Taikabura jigs hitting our shelves. These were all built to a similar theme but the ones that seemed to be selling faster and working better were the ones that glowed brighter when the lights went out.
    The interesting thing was that the species most interested in the highly visible glowing objects were the ones we generally seek the most. Species such as West Australian jewfish and baldchin groper were becoming very regular captures on these new weird jigs and proved to me there was something about luminous material that works – even in shallow water.
    All the gear you will need to tie this dynamite rig
    A week later I got out with a mate in shallow country off Mindarie and got to experiment with these a little. It’s always hard to tell if the subtle changes made in the rigs we use does or doesn’t make a huge difference considering the large numbers of variables when fishing but that day we caught fifteen West Australian Jewish and they seemed to be hitting the rigs with beads over any of the other offerings. So much so, there was a flurry of sales the next morning as other crew members were hurrying to even the score.
    Last month we fished off the Abrolhos islands and got a chance to really put these to the test while fishing a red hot bite on jewfish – those using these beads absolutely wiped the floor over those who didn’t.
    I now always use Owner size 5 soft beads as shown on my three way swivels and have found they tidy up the tag ends of the knots very nicely and reduce the tendency for the rigs to tangle.
    My preference is to fish the three way dropper rigs with two snelled 6/0 Owner black SSW Needlepoint hooks. A size 5 Owner bead is then pushed over the eye of the front hook (of the snelled hooks). I then use a 2” glow squid on the bottom dropper – the squid sits nicely on the soft bead and stops it being pulled over the hook.
    Owner size 5 glow beads pushed up and over the tag ends of the Oyako crane swivel
    The bottom bait is normally a whole squid with the bottom hook going into the head and the top hook going into the top of the tube.The top bait is a mulie which is normally pretty sacrificial unless you are on good ground. Being very soft, they have a tendency to be chewed to pieces by small fish but in doing so can entice other bigger critters.
    As I have said above, light does manage to penetrate ocean waters deeper than fifty metres but how fish see these little glowing beads I can’t say. However, I would have to say that I am a convert to using them. They are relatively cheap and if they offer you an advantage, especially in hard fished waters, then they seem a pretty good idea.

keenfisherman
    Participant

The reason I use lumo tubing is for line protection- your traces last longer and you won’t get bitten of by sharks teeth as much as you would with no protection at all. Not sure if they really atract fish but must increase your chances.

yellowfin
    Participant

LOL too long to read Mark

yellowfin
    Participant

I know I thought the same, but it is to the point,

I also think it depends were you fish- in the mighty north (across the strait) I and alot of others use lumo(green and pink) muppets which do work,also lumo beads on our rigs. In the south well colder water says it all-

baitman
    Participant

I agree with mili and you are being overly critical reguarding his posts.
    Lumo tube has limited use apart from allowing people in the industry to say it’s the next best thing to get you to part with your money.( you have to take what is said with a grain of salt )

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.