Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

Fished just East of the Willow tree at Bayleys last night , I assume that’s what some of you’s call the spot ….some bloke was just down from us , didnt see him catch anything but wasnt watching a lot of the time …

We caught 6 rig , 6 schoolies …..from 8-10
    Rig were all male and in super scrappy mode ….schoolies were mostly small , 1 keepable size …sea was dirty , and I suspect the sealice fired into action after dark …..around 9-9.30 the wind swung from a nice warm nor west to the south , then dropped back to nor west for a few minutes before really stoking up sou easterly

No sign of the ele’s …..oddish thing , 3 rig on paua …..did have crab on the other hook tho

Miliwolf
    Participant

There was enough very large KY caught at the Diversion tonight to keep things interesting. Very pleasant evening, with maybe a dozen people spin fishing and three fly fishing.

Initially one KY was being landed every half hour or so. With the occasional small one every now and then. I had little luck on the fly, so eventually did the sensible thing and got my spin rod out for the last half hour or so of fishing. Was probably the hottest bite of the evening and I landed two very large KY before things cooled down. Forgotten how much fun it is to catch large Kahawai on a ultralight weight spin rod.

From what I saw around a dozen very large Kahawai were caught, all on spinners. One fly fishermen did get a few small and a medium one but they were certainly favoring metal tonight.

Weigh him this morning, only went 2.1kg gutted and gilled (ripped guts out via mouth)

yellowfin
    Participant

KY sure are fun alright on light gear.Went to kaikoura yesterday and fished a small stream mouth and hooked 8 ky but only landed two smaller ones.The big ones sure know how to throw the hook.Great sport.

yellowfin
    Participant

fished amberley lastnight loads of crabs around after dark but they pissed off abou 1130 12 ish managed 6 rig (only one keepable) but released as freezer is looking good enough atm…. one small ele also released at freezer has abit of that also and a few large crabs not quite deadliest catch size but getting there. few sets of breakers when i got there and bit of chop but after a couple hours it changed…. one breaker and out back was like a lake….. saw many shooting stars 20+ also something enter the atmosphere saw it break up s it did with a big fireball and trail was awesome

yellowfin
    Participant

Another stingray last night. Not much else around, few small rig caught, a skate and lots of tiny doggies and schoolies. A guy wanted to keep the ray to eat so that’s the first one I’ve caught at the pier that hasn’t been released, had to beach it and drag it up the pier.

Some guys ele caught on a little trout rod and light braid, also foul hooked in the tail man that thing took some line. Bait was mullet

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished South of Timaru this morning. heaps of small greyboys hitting the bait as soon as it hit the water, most around 30-40cm long but a couple were around 60-65cm.

All that seems to be around this season is small greyboys, I havent cought any rig or elephant fish this season which is unusual.

Duckman
    Participant

Went to Ambo Beach tonite fished from 7pm – 10.45pm and caught 1 nice sized rig.

yellowfin
    Participant

I will have to start calling you Ducko85 soon with all this success.LOL

Duckman
    Participant

lol socky, only my second, but won’t be my last, caught it on squid bait

fishforpot
    Participant

No sign of kahawai south side of the Mac this morning ,a nice salmon taken about 10.30 ….be guessing the weight as 15lb ……

Torpedo on the beach , 3 guys , were calving up at least 10 rig when we went past about 9.30 and had it out again ….all rig were brats , the size you might keep 1 if it was looking like youd catch nothing else for the outing …some were no bigger than dogfish ….

They are raping it down there …..I had a feeling they will be taking way more than the 5 each allowed

yellowfin
    Participant

I know of a couple people who clean up torpedos, two of them teamed up so now they send out two torpedos all with crab bait and sell the catch. No fisheries officers around the beaches they fish..

Got one 5kg rig last night but packed up about 12, was a really nice night once the wind dropped. Went out and fished in the rain this morning for an hour caught a few big mullet.

St_Paul
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

They go everywhere, south of birdlings flat and north south brighton etc, I only know them by first names. I think commercial fishing does more damage they need to have size limits on rig and eles and keep way further offshore.

Anonymous
    Inactive

zac

Miliwolf
    Participant

When I bumped into them they did not offer me any measuring tools, they did not even want to measure my Paua or Crayfish :mad: They just commented on how big they were :| .

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.