Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    HIPP
    Participant

Bloody Nice one Kevo, well done

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

nice one..kevo!! :grin: :grin: :grin:
    -was up early today..nothing caught to talk about then chased kahawai up the beach..outcome..nil..pretty sunrise tho:

JEEEEEZ Im getting sick of this site falling over!!!

Duckman
    Participant

Nice photo Ian, yeah emailed them this morning and they have changed servers so hope that fixes all prob’s,

yellowfin
    Participant

Looks like the backup was made a bit early so lost a few posts. Hopefully the new server has less problems.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to the Pier yesterday not intending on fishing but had a rod, some line and a pack of hooks in the car so made a trace up. Ended up getting 3 stingrays. Last one was the biggest and foul hooked in the back of the wing took ages to turn that thing but got it to the beach over an hour later and packed up by 2am. None were that big but I was only fishing one rod there must’ve been heaps out there was pretty rough and outgoing tide was getting them in the whitewater. Andrew (PierMaster) got a small rig, don’t think any others were landed.

Some old pics from when the forum was down

Miliwolf
    Participant

Got sand blasted tonight fishing at the Rarangi cliffs, still managed a Rig.. rods were being blown around quite a bit making it hard to notice strikes. Lost a few crab baits so they must be out there in reasonable numbers.

Packed up and was driving home by 9, think it could have been a productive dusk but was sick of the wind.

yellowfin
    Participant

So how do you get fish up the Pier? Or do you run them all back to the beach?

rocky

yellowfin
    Participant

depends on the size… some can pull up by hand line or a gaff on end of rope otherwise take it too the beach

yellowfin
    Participant

Depends more if you wanna eat it or not. Smaller rig etc can pull up on the line if you have a long enough leader, bigger ones I’ve got a gaff made out of a boat anchor and sharpened with a grinder which a lot of people have. Stingrays, Seven Gillers etc I usually beach and release them, that seven giller in the pic I was lazy that night and we gaffed it up and threw it back not the best idea though as the bigger fish probably don’t survive the fall like the small ones.

beameer
    Participant

Hi heres a few pics from when forum was down ,some rig that Tackles and I caught!!!

Been out over the last couple of days ,conditions perfect but alas no fish ,no crabs,lice or anything else for that matter :eek: :eek: :razz:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went down to the Bar tonight, had it to myself. Was nice and sheltered behind the cliffs, water quite dirty and caught nothing.

Went upstream to the corner, water cleaner and little wind. Again caught nothing, did see a nice trout.

Over to Diversion, very calm, just a breeze. Sea was all but flat. But nothing happening. Tried both spinners and flys.

Hard to beleive its blowing a gale further inland.

Also went to the bar last night and around a dozen big KY had been landed earlier by around a dozen anglers. Water was much clearer. Diversion was very slow fishing, only saw one moderate size KY on the beach. The corner was dead.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished the Pier tonight. Caught a few small rig and schoolies nothing over 10lb and a small seven giller, was a decent amount of rig around conditions are good for them at the moment nice and rough.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished the Pier again last night. Managed more small rig and schoolies, biggest 5kg. Saw 3 eles caught. Hooked another ray, first one I’ve ever hooked that jumped out of the water other than the eagle ray I got at lyttelton. Didn’t see to much of it but it decided to bury itself on the bottom right in front of the Pier, I got impatient and walked backwards and snapped the line. Never seen this many rays around in January at the Pier, not sure what that could mean, a few years back there was 2 weeks in March that they were around everywhere, we called it the “annual running of the stingrays” lol, I assumed it was when all the rays from around taylors, lyttelton, southshore etc were heading back north or out to see for winter.

yellowfin
    Participant

My last post was wiped somehow I was waiting to hear feedback about the Little River Fishing Fundraising Competition on the 28th of January.

I wont be fishing (too busy organising) but am looking forward to seeing what comes. It will be a great day for families with all children getting a certificate. Enter on the day 8am at Birdlings Flat, postponements on Newstalk ZB. Adults $10, children 15 and under $5. Weigh in at 3pm at Ian’s place.

Duckman
    Participant

Hi ynot, yeah it got wiped when the forum crashed.

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.