Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

Fishing was hard going at Amberly , Sting ray got first , Kahawai 2nd , then schoolies and dogs …….first year Ive come home empty handed , mighta got 10th with the biggest of my pityful schoolies lol …lost a KY in the surf , but that’s fishing

St_Paul
    Participant

weather for kaikoura looked pretty crap, the rain is going sideways here in Picton. Hopefully it’s not raining up the wairau valley again, would bugger the kahawai fishing for the 3rd time in 2 months.

yellowfin
    Participant

[quote:1va2ulol]Pareora easy to get to. 3 ele’s and rig caught on kontiki there a week ago. havn’t been venturing out much, fishing has been crap.
    Smithfield a bit trickier due to stiles to get over fences

Thanks Smokin Joe. I’ll give it a go soon. Hopefully this week. Have you got a kontiki? I was wondering about how hard it would be to adapt one to drop big shark baits 500 metres out? I’m having trouble catching live-baits (kahawai) so I need a new plan.

rocky

Miliwolf
    Participant

Back from the Kaikoura Contest, the contest was fairly busy and fishing started quite easy and I landed a few Skate. Weather was okay, a little drizzle and after lunch a weak southerly cooled things down. It starting to rain around 3:00pm which was when the competition ended.

My biggest Skate got me 6th or 7th prize while another which I kept got me around 12th. Released the others which were of comparable size to the which got 12th overall. There was a lot of Skate landed, along with small doggies and a few Gurnard and Rig. I think the winning fish was a School Shark but nothing big was landed.

Quite a sad sight seeing the large pile of Skate and Doggies going to waste after the contest. Got the wings of one in my fridge, disgusting slimy thing it is….

Wharf fishing the previous night was slow. Got a KY in the morning before the contest.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished the kaikoura comp, caught dogfish and a carpet shark. I think everyone that caught a fish got a $20 hunting and fishing voucher which is more than the $15 entry fee, although I payed for two rods. Got a few kahawai on the spinner Saturday and mackeral,mullet, terakihi, and moki in my cast net at the wharf (no legal size ones). Also used my cast net off the beach again and got a few mullet.

Has anyone posted about the two kingfish caught in the waimak mouth on friday yet? Can confirm it and have seen a pic of one of them, makes me wanna get out there with a popper or something. Apparently the guy that got one of them wasn’t a local, not sure what sort of gear he was using or if he was just salmon fishing.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Zac, I would try Slide baiting a live KY or Mullet around the mouth, I think you know what I mean.. but here is a link explaining it if you don’t.

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1320110199

yellowfin
    Participant

Less mucking around with a lure or popper, no bait to worry about. But I’ve had slides for a few years, used them last year and slid some big baits out off kaikoura but got congers every time.

smokin’ joe
    Participant

rocky

Miliwolf
    Participant

zac

fishforpot
    Participant

A cobber of mine was walking his dog around Scarborough yesterday and passed a guy near the boat ramp filleting a Kingi of about 20lb …..so they are here alright

Can confirm it was taken from a boat , just to avoid confusion

St_Paul
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

Good to know, would let the swell die down then have a try. Hopefully get the north bank mostly to myself…. otherwise would have to paddle across.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just tried the skate, and its very nice if slimy, wished I had taken a few more. Probably my favorite fish so far I have tried from the surf beaches. Bugger to clean.

HIPP
    Participant

Tired eyes thismorning…..fished Cooper laggon area last night, I got waht Paddy Shot at but my cobbers got a medium Rig each on Prawn and about 3 doggies two of which were the smallest doggies in the world…dont know how they managed to hook themselves on such big hooks. One rod slammed to the ground early evning, we will never know what that was, the first Rig was just on dark and the other about 11pm as we were about to pull the pin, stayed bit later to see if I could shake the bad JUJU, but alsa the fish god are not pleased with me still….lol, Cheers, Hipp….duely noted was we used to do better when we fished an out going to low tideish, full moon and at night., like last night….something in it, we will see:)

yellowfin
    Participant

A big girl from this morning..about 27lbs.. took a raw prawn <a href="“>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.