Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Nice haul.. did you net them or use lures?

yellowfin
    Participant

Got them in the cast net also got some herring etc barracouta were jumping clear of the water chasing the schools of squid.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

nice one zac..you would be almost tempted to cook up the bigger ones if you were into calamari…. :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Decided to give a new spot a fish last night, Robinhood bay.

Arrived there after dinner, the campers were already well established. But no one was fishing. So had the beach to myself. Unlike most beaches I fish Robinhood is shallow, so I got to do long distance casting for once.

Results were pleasing, a limit of paddle crabs and two Rig, including one big. No Moki but I packed up at 9:50 before it was properly dark.

Certainly worth a fish for anyone in Marlborough, especially if one needs to restock paddle crabs.

Participant

Nice zac hows the surf up there ?

Duckman
    Participant

yip fished there before mili and also oyster bay

tackles hack
    Participant

out this mornin sea lookin great saw 1 monster ele caught on squid must of bin still shookin up . prettymuch swam straight up the beach.. also 2 ky then the bait snatchers turned up… may try this evenin. great bait zac the ele loved it 2 day. crab and cray was used as well withno luck

Miliwolf
    Participant

I never fished Oyster Bay from the shore, once or twice from the yak can not remember catching much but it always been middle of the day, and when yak fishing i typically head towards separation point. Fished Ocean point a few times, first couple of times were rather tragic, did not really know what I was doing and was using old or cheap gear which failed, fished it once last year hoping to burley in Kahawai, did get a few. Fished it a couple of times from the Yak while on route to further away spots and only caught KY and doggies from memory. Ocean point probably deserves a evening/night fish. Speared quite a few butters around Ocean Point and the outer parts of Robinhood, quite a few Moki out there also. But that was before spearfishing become very popular and now both places get a thrashing.

yellowfin
    Participant

Awesome conditions in kaikoura turned one of those squid into a 23kg schoolie at the railway beach will try get a pic up but most of them are on my camera

tackles hack
    Participant

was it full of babys ? zac.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fishing was useless at St andrews today, Water filthy close in but clear 100-150m out. 2 small greyboys for 4 hours fishing :mad:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Clifford bay was all but flat today, if it was not for the sea breeze it would have been perfect. Might head down to Kaikoura on Boxing day.

Are there many Moki around the wharf???

yellowfin
    Participant

I was at kaikoura a couple of days ago and at the wharf at Jimmy Armours beach at lunchtime I saw 1 stringray a meter wide, 2 moki about 300mm long and shoals of herrings swimming about.Real good deep water off there.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah packed with babies shoulda released it but let all the babies off into the surf seemed to swim off ok. Loads of kahawai around today was getting them in my cast net off the beach 4 or 5 big ones at a time.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.