Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Fished pier saturday night dead calm nothing around till i got a 5 or 6 foot seven gilller that ended up biting through the trace and another guy got as rig before we packed up. Fished again last night only a 6lb rig and 8lb schoolie on a balloon 200 or so meters out, hoping the bigger ones turn up there soon. Heard of some big 20 and 30lb rig up there last week as well.

oldgreyboy
    Participant

went north of timaru this morn didnt get there till 11am not the ideal time but work till 10 am took a mate he got a nice rig on squid then got a big crab i put a couple of legs on tossed it and within minutes got a nice rig so packed up fish for tea yum

oldgreyboy
    Participant

went north of timaru this morn didnt get there till 11am not the ideal time but work till 10 am took a mate he got a nice rig on squid then got a big crab i put a couple of legs on tossed it and within minutes got a nice rig so packed up fish for tea yum

fishforpot
    Participant

Heard you the first time dude lol …..good effort …

HIPP
    Participant

Well back at work now, so the rain has gone lol,

went to Coopers Lagoon Beach yesterday afternoon, still a bit rough but was calming by the time we left. managed to catch a small amount of gorse which gave me a glimour of excitement until it revieled its self:) but otherwise no action,

Also went to Manuka Bay we got a Wrassy type of fish each of reasonable size which Ive yet to try but will in the name of sustainability give it a go.

back to work now for a couple of weeks before I head to the West Coast to see whats on offer over there again.

Cheers Hipp

baitman
    Participant

Ive fished coopers lagoon beach 3 times over the past month been crabbed of each time it must be lousey with them.
    Wakanui has been fishing well though worth a bit extra driving methinks.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

..this evening while riding the beach……

pictures tell a thousand words…

Hardy
    Participant

Reminds me of the time I came over. And actually wandered out on the beach, before the wind became so strong it blew me over. There was this guy trying to set a Kite Rig. One rod for the kite, one for his long line. Man was he having trouble. I didn’t want to interfere. So just sat and watched. In the end he finally got everything back on the beach. So I wandered over for a yarn. A South African and hell man I am after sharks, he tells me. Frig I said, are you from Cape Town. And yep he was. I said try a prawn and catch a rig. Sharks without teeth. I will be back he said. Dammmm Man I like this beach, reminds me of home. Yep I said, Thresher sharks everywhere, me mate got one the other day. Damm he said. I love dried shark, I said what about their tails, he said no mannnn its the fins I need. The Mrs reckons they do the trick

Now ya got Taiwanese with those little radio controlled boats, trying to beat the dumper wave. Smallest Kontiki I have ever seen. But hey they get a 100 points for trying. But alas no sharks fins for them either.

Do you do shark fin soup Birdlings, I reckon I need some to.

Cheers Hardy aka Trev

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

I could conjour up some essence of sharks fin soup frm a wee island off the left of scotland Hardy????
    ..after looking over and chatting to the blokes with the highly modified twin motored radio control boat(silicon sealer everywhere).I informed them it aint gonna happen today-:)”Oh we have been successful on days with bigger waves”they said..protecting their egos…OK OK when I was a lot younger and had put much time and effort into designing a kontiki I would have braved all seas and tempratures just to get the thing sailing..in fact many a time I made kontikis set, the sail without the barley sugar stood on the beach and saluted it heading for the horizon..Nah! I never tied anything onto them..stuff pulling them back in..somewhere out there in the big blue is a wee island with an alter,that the inhabitants worship…. dedicated to the mysterious arrivals of lonely unattached kontiki-
    (theres a cartoon in that!)
    -yup 100 points to them for their efforts!..and may man forever keep thinking of cheaper ways than the dreaded TORPEDO!

..and remember this is a family site! :grin: :grin: :grin:
    Hey Baitman try using CRAB!!!!and live up to your nikname!

tackles hack
    Participant

i bin feet up 4 a week now. think the sfnz boys are takin me and me box of burps 4 a fish 2 night. should be fun watchin them do all the work. checked conditions yesterday. sea had some good dumpers . hpoe the boys keep dry this evening. sea should settle down now. good luck out there FISHOS

Duckman
    Participant

i have constructed a long line from a beach ball in a nylon sack with 50lb mainline and five traces each with a small ball sinker at 2 meter spacing’s and an old boat rod, just waiting for the nor west winds to try it out, if it works will go bigger, longer and stronger. cheap as to make. :grin:

oldgreyboy
    Participant

went out 5.30 this morn , quite a northeast dump on the beach so came home, sorry bout double posts yesterday puter was slow so submitted twice, i used to make model boats last was a 48 inch hull with a 22cc weedeater motor used to send out with the sinker in a clothespeg and stop the boat give the line a yank sinker droppen and brought the boat back in worked quite well too

yellowfin
    Participant

Two reasonable size rig bycatch,was after moki at Kaikoura.I will punish them by drowning fillets in tempura batter and then scorching them in hot oil till dead. :wink:

Duckman
    Participant

nice socky

Miliwolf
    Participant

Out of Paddle Crabs so headed out to Salty to restock, first few hours were very slow with only 3 crabs and 2 mullets in the cage. Fished three rods, two with mussel and one with paddle crab. Nothing touched them until after dark, when a small rig took the crab bait. After dark the crabs become more common so I got half a ice cream container of them.

Was over low tide, so not surprised that the fishing was poor. Plus not many Moki’s there I suspect so fishing mussel baits was probably a waste of time.

Nice evening down there, little wind and the sea was blue rather then brown. Small swell.

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.