Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    Birdlingsflat
    Participant

..all I can say is…YUM!!! :grin:

beameer
    Participant

Out this morning scored a couple of “Mamoths”

That fish in the smoker looks great Socky :eek:

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

nice elles Beemer…Yea Vics making us drool..I must have his bike here..lol

oops

sevengiller
    Participant

Beameer where abouts did you catch those Eles. Great catch

yellowfin
    Participant

This is a story of great feats and derring do.I went to Ashworths for tuatuas and crab for bait.Good chanels were there but a meaty swell was running.With wetsuit on and a pair of socks to stop the nippers I waded out and started harvesting.Then I stood on a big shellfish and reached down and grabbed it.The shellfish then grabbed my hand and when I lifted it up a giant, no ginormous crab had a hold of my hand.It was a milisecond later that I screamed like a girl and uttered F and C repeatedly.I flung it so hard it gashed my hand ( I bled for you today Ian).It landed 100m away by my car hissing all the way.I carried on.All was good apart from hand wound, till a large blob of seaweed snuck up from behind and wrapped around my legs.You know the drill more screaming and cussing.So then I just worked the crabpot from the safety of the shore and in two sets nearly filled the bucket to go with the filled grundys.Who ever said gathering bait is boring and no fun.

yellowfin
    Participant

sevengiller

rayhunter
    Participant

thats a good size you wouldnt want it on a toe

elmo22
    Participant

that crab is on top of a 44 gal drum lol

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

..and it twas a specially big 44 gal drum ..lol elmo..well Vic-torious Socky-well done..I vil have to order some single malt-I bow to you superior crabority— :grin:
    hey elmo go to taumutu and drive along a bit further to the middle of no-where..and thats where they are! :grin:

elmo22
    Participant

how many cups of tea have you had birdling flat :grin: what are half way down to the middle of no were???

beameer
    Participant

Elles caught between Taumutu and Birdlings on fresh squid had 7 in two days no by-catch……beach has dozens of elle tailings on the beach someone has had a good few days ……..Ian I owned a K100rs for 11yrs great machine did in excess of 250k ….miles that is :)
    Heres a couple more from yesterday

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yup they have a good rep..owned plenty of R models..and just about everything else..but never a K..now they are quite reasonable in price will enjoy this one for a while-must ask you half a doz questions one day about them..lol..anywhere between the half way mark tween bayleys and the ellesmere lake outlet should be good Elmo..thats where I got the biggy at the beginning of the season..Ive been too busy chasing other fish but i must pop down again soon and fill up the acme smoker..errr cups of tea?oh thats right I need to pop over to the whiskey galore site and order some more tea bags… :razz:

elmo22
    Participant

beamer how do you get down the beach i can get to taunutu but at the church looks very soft to drive down is there a road that i can get to thats half way from bailyes and taumutu have hilux 4×4 no bike

beameer
    Participant

Elmo can’t help you there I only know the beach access from Taumutu, Birdlings would be able to answer that,Hi Lux would be a artifical reef before the weeks end if you got stuck anywhere along the spit in particular at the cutting where they open the lake :cry: :roll: ,there is no reason why the elle’s aren’t at the church access though many good fish have been caught there over the years.

fishforpot
    Participant

It’s quite astounding how different the water is once your along the above mentioned stretch …..sand hills are higher – beach steeper and water way deeper ….until about 4yrs ago it was shark central …but the commercial boys have raped the school shark population ….
    Ele’s and rig are prolific tho

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.