Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    tackles hack
    Participant

was fishin sat arvo had prawn top hook left bottom hook baitless. not much caught except a grey on the bottom hook????????????????????? pretty weird had bit of weed tangled on hook. must of been tasty

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

lotsa birds and lotsa these fish committing suicide on the beach tween bayleys and birdlings lunchtime today..

yellowfin
    Participant

Hmmm, they look like sprats to me….great salmon bait from the dunedin wharfs!!

elmo22
    Participant

fishforpot so you got your 4 rig on mullet as you said thats what you were using to get sharks?? were there bigger fish out there chasing the small fish up on to the beach birdlings flat?

yellowfin
    Participant

we used to catch alot of those little fish off the akaroa wharf. They’ve got rainbow coloured swcales that come off really easily. Never found out what their proper name was. We just caled them rainbow fish.

fishforpot
    Participant

No elmo , my bad ….I should have pointed out that we took an array of bait …

Had we only taken mullet for bait , we’d have caught hundreds of dogs …. they were taking bare hooks …..insane numbers …..

A tui to the blokes in the pics BF posted who rid the sea of numerous specimens of this pest

Beach had a fair amount of krill on it too ……….

The sprats in the photo , are not meant to venture north of Banks Peninsula ….tho years ago we struck them at Nape Nape , the kahawai were chasing them onto the beach

KY werent interested in taking anything other than sprats , so we just threw a hook in them , and cast into the sea ….Boom …

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yes elmo there was chasing but no hitting the surface one assumes something other than kahawai..a few dolphins were jumping and cavorting further out-different baitfish have different actions once chased..

tackles hack
    Participant

eles every where along the beach this evening. caught 7 kept 5 lost5 others. not often they go off like that. ma squidly had been used a few times out there the stink had them coming from everywhere! had prawns on the go 2. was gret fun. all go fishin wit 2 rods. all females biggest 15 lb i guessin. still cant get a rig. only. 1 trawler out there think he will be chocker.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Warm humid night so decided to go for a surf fish, low on crabs so went to my crab spot to restock.

One rod baited with mussel the other with half a paddle crab I found in the freezer. Threw pot out hoping to catch more, I cleverly left my rod stands at , first time I done that. Luckily my Kilwell has a spike on the bottom so I pushed it into the sand and made a support out of drift wood for my other rod. Fishing was slow, checked pot to discover my bait had washed out and I had nothing to replace it with :sad:

Evening something took my mussel rod and I soon had a decent size Moki of around 5lb on the beach, always thought that spot had Moki potential but never caught any there before. Birdlings success got me motivated to try again. A while later my crab rod bent over and pulled out of my drift wood stand, I saved it with time to spare and landed a normal size Rig. Headed for home just before 10.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

nice fishing you two!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
    -have decided to fish the dark this morning..we dont usuall;y around here cos of millions of lake flies at this time of year,
    however the taste for fresh moki has overtaken!-and of course curiosity over-rules common sense when fishing takes ove…r..zzzzzzzzzzz/slap gotta wake up…

beameer
    Participant

Hello everyone sounds like there has been good fishing all round,followed Tackles scent trail this morning down the spit ,great fishing 5 elle’s by 10am no by catch!Conditions great heaps of elle and rig debris all along the beach by the look of it Skene’s trawler was working about 1km off shore ,will have a look again in the morning if the weather holds out (pictures to follow) :smile:

tackles hack
    Participant

stayed home this evening. had 2 process ele in the belly. burp. sent a couple of locals down the worn track…. o yes they smoked them again

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds like good ele catches around.Just got back from Kaikoura for an overnighter.No fishing in the dark though.Had a nice mixed bag of fish species.Caught 3 cudas, 1 herring, 5 kahwai, 2 moki, one was about 4-5lbs and great scrapper.Lost a large fish which fought like a salmon.To finish off went for a snorkel and got a feed of butters and paua.

Duckman
    Participant

nice fish socky

yellowfin
    Participant

Mister Bradley at work with moki and kahwai.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.