Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Managed four average rig this morning :grin: here’s the first one “>

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

great at least others are catching too..ginga and zac seem to be doing very well at the rig too :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Well it had to happen sooner or later, finally landed my first rig last night at Mainwarings thanks to another fisho who gave me a couple of crabs. Although I think my success was more likely because I forgot the camera, my cell phone, the chilly bin and only had a blunt bait knife :) and to top it off i broke the tip of my rod when I was trying to grab the line to get him clear of the waves. But that doesn’t matter I GOT A RIG!!! many thanks to you guys on here for the advice and to those guys on the beach who always seem keen to help out and give advice as well. Really dunno why it took so long but I guess I’ve got an idea as to what I am doing in regards to them now :) Thanks guys!!

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Congratulations now you dont have to pace the forum notes with that virginal keyboard look..no doubt the rig knew you were un prepared and struck!Bit like biting into a lovely sandwich with a glass of beer in the other hand..The fish know when to strike!Cheers and good on ya! :grin:

fishforpot
    Participant

Well done indeed ……now on to your next mission , the elephant fish ……

Tips – move up to south rakia hutts , on first light ………crab bait , half a crab – no shell and no legs

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just spent the night in Kaikoura, and unlike last time I fished the wharf 8)

Friday night there was a cold wind blowing onshore north of the Peninsula, conditions to the south looked ideal for surfcasting but I left my surf rods at home :twisted:. Before dark caught a Moki which was shortly followed by my first line caught Butter fish. The fishing was slow, with maybe 1 Moki and 1 other specie being caught ever hour or so. Think I stopped fishing around 1:30am. Luckily the cold wind had died down by that time. All up I think I landed 4 Moki, and 4 other species of reef fish. I think all Moki were caught on Mussel, the other species all took raw prawn. This morning, I fished the wharf for a while, watched a few Butters feeding in the kelp. But only had a few minutes to try and catch them. Then went spearfishing and got a feed of Butters and a nice Cray.

My first rod caught Butterfish

Typical under size wharf Moki

The eerie green glow of the reef opposite the new wharf.

cattleridge

elmo22
    Participant

went out to bayleys and got down the beach at 5.30 went down a km or so from the drive track to the beach, when i got there aother fisho just caught a good size ele up the beach by the track, i started fishing with 2 rods,nothing first baits so rebaited a nd as i was thoughing out 1 rod the other bent over toward the horizon so quickly through it out ran up and put it in the rod holder and ran to the other rod, played it for a while and landed a good size rig bait was crayfish.. went and fix the other rod and then cleaned and put away rig.can back the the other rods line was all loose so i wind in that and bugger me a nice size ele was on that, must of been on for a while as it didnt fight much, so in half hr got 2 fish, stayed till 8.30pm and only got 1 baby grey boy(returned) so a good 1st time out this season for me..ele bait was tua-tua

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

great stuff elmo good start for you :grin:

sevengiller
    Participant

Hey BF
    Whats the conditions like out there today??

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

very windy im not going outdoors.. :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

fishforpot

fishforpot
    Participant

Was rather quiet at Bayleys -X tonight …..4 rig , 7-10-12-13lb …….1 small schoolie …..

Best catch was mine , 4 doggies at once , and I was only using 1 bait .. was rigged up for 2 baits with keeper hooks , every hook had a fish ….so the mullet mission down the river yesterday was a waste of time , was meant to be a shark hunt night , but I aint putting up with doggies in those numbers lol ….

Oh , my mate caught a conger , approx 15lb ….and thats close to 20km from the cliffs …..

3 trawlers going up and down the beach all night , 2 in pretty bloody close ….no wonder the fish are a tad thin

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

So we can now call you Dog4pot?-thats the 3rd conger along the beach I know of lately-anyway 4 doggies makes a nice change from 2 kahawai on the same treble hook while spinning..Have you heard of cameras-those little metal things with one eye that smell like gurnard after a fishing trip? :grin:

sevengiller
    Participant

Hey Bf whats it like out there today
    think will be able to go for a fish
    Cheers

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yup not too bad

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.