Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I guess the trawlers couldn’t get in close enough to wipe out the moki as well.. a rare catch in the middle of the day!

tackles hack
    Participant

most impressive birdlings. only1 ele down this way 2day.we hoping they startin 2 warm up now

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

I assume it twas on squidly tacklyhack? :grin:-oh and booger-Ive seen heaps of Moki caught in the heat of a bright sunny day lunchtime..

yellowfin
    Participant

I haven’t.. been kayak fishing numerous times in areas where people spear moki and on our kayaks we catch blue cod, trumpeter, wrasse, and other fish, but never moki. Same result with land fishing in similar areas in daytime but have caught moki at night. Have caught terakihi in the daytime though, which are fairly similar looking.

tackles hack
    Participant

cant confirm bait tastes. 3 from 4 i have had on squidly….looks like a day off 2day ian

yellowfin
    Participant

fishforpot

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

another Moki 5 pm this one…ran out of tua tuas so clipped on my elle rig and chucked on some big prawns..landed this one..tried again got the big one..braid snapped in big wave just got to see him…shit shit shit shit gear failure..thats the problem with braid and rocks

fishforpot
    Participant

Was just chatting to a hardcore fisherman mate who learned his trade fishing club events in Wellington fishing alongside Pete Lamb ….moki was their bread and butter ….

Cray is the preferred bait , and in the dark …..you will catch moki during the day , but keeping your baits away from the shit fish is hard work ……

Off topic , it was him I mentioned fishing a club event at Bayleys Sunday morning , he said the water is way way shallower than our spot – X , and it became apparant that fresh crab was much better bait than frozen ……it’s the first time in 2-3 years he’s returned home without a feed ….. and probably the last he will ever fish there …just not worth the effort ….
    Maybe the entire beach was void of fish …..damn trawlers lol …..

Participant

Nice moki birdlings great scrappers are’nt they….

Popped down pines after work today shit weather but fish are biting managed 2eles and 2rig in hour half….

Miliwolf
    Participant

The most Bizarre Moki catch I have seen was during the day on salted bonito (I think), might of been salted Mackerel. Also seen Rig caught on pilly during the day.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

mate got one on a hamils killer ..looks like my break off was a declaration of war..feel sorry for the bugger running around with 60lb trace and a 3 oz breakaway..shark fodder!anyway..my moki spot is only a few hundred mtrs from the door..might as well fish it for a while..unless I see birds working down the beach…looks like the pines and environs will be the go for most..I love moki raw fish dishes..real nice..yum.. :grin:

HIPP
    Participant

Yet another nice fish Ian, and another great video, Whos the sound track by? I liked it, good choice. Hipp

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

thanks mate..Im not sure of the soundtrack..just chose the most suitable off you tube that you dont pay royalties for..go on to my channel on you tube then you will see the bad ones..lol.. (wink) :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Top fish Ian,I suppose you caught them in rough and dirty water?

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yup this mornings one too..blardy cold…brrrr..found why my braid broke gotta wee chip in my top agate..being replaced now by Ross..

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.