Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I also gave peeler crabs a go but no luck last year.The best test would be when you are getting amonst them on regular bait ie, crab and prawn,throw out the el plastico then you would see straight away if they do the job.You need to know the fish you want are out in front of you to test run a new bait cos even the real mcoy wont work if dey (the fish) are not biting.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yup too right..
    just booked a bach on the waterfront in port underwood Kanae Bay..11th-14th Dec..:grin:..be great to get away from the fishing..lol :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Birdlingsflat

Duckman
    Participant

fished there heaps few years back but the water is too cold for snapper, pelorus sound, portage and tennyson inlet is the snapper grounds up that way

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

oh well fishing is about optimism..its in your backyard milli so you should know…I thought with shellfish farms etc..caught a coupla snaps off the rocks a few years ago on my first drive around there..undoubtly kahawai/moki/etc…have no inclination to chase kingis as had 30 years of that..funny though if I had ever listened to some locals I would never had caught some of the fish I have..If even theres only a few mullet there, the pan will be heated and a holiday will be had it looks an inviting place…need a holiday from the rig/elles..maybe theres a few flounder there as well…

Duckman
    Participant

in shallow there is bound to be flounder, blue cod can be caught, but never know until you try

I_TRY
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback on the bait guys. Good point socky, cheers. :D

yellowfin
    Participant

I fished at Port Underwood two years ago in January, using mussel and salted bonito if I remember correctly. Caught a big eel (conger?), some small red cod and some dogfish.
    Going to Picton at the end of December but not that optimistic about the fishing.. didn’t find many suitable spots to fish last time, may just do Port Underwood again and hope the brother in law will take us out in his boat.

elmo22
    Participant

Have used the gulp peeler crabs and no fish, but they have come back in and you can see were the real crabs have pinched bits out of them and they are half eaten, have never had any luck on any rubber baits used herrings and other fish looking things

yellowfin
    Participant

Booger, There should be heaps of spots local to picton to fish. Snapper are caught off the beach by the sailing club, off Karaka Pt (hooked Kingies here too), Shakespeare bay can be good. You cant get on the wharf but you can walk along the security fence. Have caught gurnard in there. And by the end of december the cod ban will be off so you should be able to get a feed of cod easily. Theres always kahawai around the place as well.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll check out some of those spots, must’ve gone to all the wrong places last time, and pretty much every wharf in Picton seemed to be private.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah ever since 9-11, Security at ports has been tightened right up. OSH probably has something to do with it too. We used to get good fish off the Picton wharf.
    Me and some mates got kicked off the Shakespeare Bay wharf by security last year. They’ve got cameras all over the place in there.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The wharfs, at least the ones around Picton are not really worth fishing. If you are chasing snapper, its better to Strayline without any sinker. Otherwise you might only get snags and rays. If you bring your Kayak, drift fishing around the shallows in Whatamango (Ahuriri Bay) normally produces a few pannies at change of light, or just surfcast off the point. These a few better kayak spots towards the Grove arm but would not identify them on the forums, pm me if you want to know.

The small wharf at the Grove, produced quite a few fish for me. Although have not fished it much in recent time. Got Trevally, Gurnard and Snapper quite frequently and plenty of room for a Surfcaster. Plenty of rays to, they seem to head straight for the buoys or the wharf itself.

[quote:39guhaj7]oh well fishing is about optimism..its in your backyard milli so you should know…I thought with shellfish farms etc..caught a coupla snaps off the rocks a few years ago on my first drive around there..undoubtly kahawai/moki/etc…have no inclination to chase kingis as had 30 years of that..funny though if I had ever listened to some locals I would never had caught some of the fish I have..If even theres only a few mullet there, the pan will be heated and a holiday will be had it looks an inviting place…need a holiday from the rig/elles..maybe theres a few flounder there as well…

Like I said, it looks like it should be swarming in Snapper. It just lacks much of a reputation. Must admit, I have never fished there much (at all). Its a very long drive, and in the same time I can reach many places in the Kenepuru. It does look good and I do intend to fish it one day. Wet baits and I am certain it would produce something. Might even sneak down there and join you one evening, although do have work in the mornings….

I do not know if its true or not, but it said that the strength of the north flowing ocean currents determine wither large numbers of Snapper reach the Port and Cloudy Bay. On years when the current is weak Snapper fishing in the port can be good, in years when the current is normal/strong the Snapper fishing is poor.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

two great things the bach has is its own jetty and a pool table..also a coupla kayaks..I think the emphasis will be on relaxation..there will be room for anyone to drop in..and you will be very welcome..last time we were up there we stayed at dryden bay..had a ball boating around endeavour inlet and queen charlotte..i dont think i will take the dinghy and outboard..just chuck a line out here and there..I have been straylining pilchards off the beach here a few times with the wind behind me..got some interesting takes!.gonna concentrate on grabbing a few moki now..they should be back after I murdered the school a few years back-hopefully my tua tuas will arrive tomorrow..jeez its nearly christmas…

yellowfin
    Participant

Just throw a line in the water Birdling,after all, fish are where you find them.!
    A few days ago several forum members berated Amberly for lack of fish.Funny how a week or two back people were hauling good rig out.All spots will produce fish at some stage ,you just have to keep trying.What a great excuse to go fishing all the time.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.