Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    rayhunter
    Participant

nice one Ian i may hav to come out there for a fish soon and see if i can catch them

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

thankyou men..bayleys beach and shrimp..middle of the day..cheers

here is a quick vid of it on the beach..am currently waiting for a new sunglasses camera that is activated by a pocket remote to film the whole landing sequence of a rig or elle..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vnL-Vgn97M

sevengiller
    Participant

BF where abouts is bayleys beach as i have trouble trying to find it.
    Cheers

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

google it get the map..right next to birdlings flat :grin:

fisherman24
    Participant

Hay guys,I have finaly got my laptop fixed so i can get onto the internet now :grin: . I have been out a few times this season however only had 1 rig but hopeing to head to birdlings in the next few weeks to catch my first elephant fish. Looks like u have been busy Ian, good on u mate

St_Paul
    Participant

good to see the ele’s are about. one thing I miss about canterbury are those beasties!

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a double hook up at birdlings Monday at tea time, while the sun was still up.Three bites and three rig.This topped off a great day after a red deer hind earlier that morning.Used cooked prawn and crab for bait.[*“>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us] :D :) :razz: :smile: :grin: :P

gunnercoops
    Participant

For the rig and ele’s do you fish a running ledger on the bottom? I have yet to catch one of either, just seem to have fed a lot of prawns to crabs and lice!

yellowfin
    Participant

Ledger rig with either one or two not too large a hook size.Around size4 seems to work for me.
    The hooks get blunt quickly at shingle beaches so check often.They all pretty much self hook, just wind em in.If the bait is scoffed quickly by crab or lice maybe the fish are not there.A hungry rig/ele will beat those pests to bait cos dey can swim a lot faster.lol

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

socky——GOYM ..good on yer mate :razz:

HIPP
    Participant

I finally got out last night:), pretty cool easterly, managed to land a med size Rig at Amberly beach bout 9pm, my cobber caught a doggy on prawn at about 10pm and we hung in there till bout 11pm, then pulled the pin.

Socky, thanks for the tip, Ill take some prawns next time I go out for a deer lol

Fish for tea tonight, you beauty, cheers, Hipp

yellowfin
    Participant

Make sure you are downwind of the deer when putting prawn bait out.Hehehe.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

another small male elle today..guy next to me(may have been a forum member)got straight on his cell when he landed a good female at bayleys..so the words out..two commercial boats going back and forth..found a small dolphin head on the beach..doc will pick it up outa my freezer sometime(they have to be reported)..now about those venison prawns… :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Last minute change of plans saw me head out for my first Rig fish of the season, got to Monkey Bay. Sea was marginal for Monkey but I threw my pot out anyway. No place to tie the rope to so left it at the mercy off the waves… Caught a couple of red cods on the prawn, once I got crabs I started sending them out. They were being hit hard and it was not long until I had a big Rig in the breakers. That was followed by another of similar size a while later.Was getting late, so I packed my Rods away and returned to find my Pot rope had been washed off the rocks and now floating out of reach :x Being to lazy to walk back for a Rod I tried with a long piece of drift wood without much luck, Finally decided to go and get my rod… Then I spotted my Reels and a pulley Rig still on the beach :idea: So I tied the pulley to the reel and was throwing it out by hand, second throw and I knew I was a idiot when I felt the hook dig deep into my finger.

Was to deep to quickly pull out, so I walked back to the car for more tools. The theory goes you should push the point back through the skin then cut the barb off, but that was much to painful. Next I thought of cutting it out, but sanity returned and I eventually worked the hook back out the way it went in 8) Plus it was a blunt hook……

While sucking as much blood as possible from the hook hole a car turned up, it was a guy who has lost his cellphone on the beach earlier in the day. So I found it for him. Then I got my rod, and retrieved my crab pot rope second cast. Was back home quite a bit later then planned.

Got a few Pics which I would throw up when I get around to uploading them.

baitman
    Participant

jeeze mili hope those rig taste good

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.