Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    Giller
    Participant

Beautiful fish you got there BF Well done,also what time of day are you getting these ? also what size hooks as have heard not to use to big a hook due to size of mouth.is this true as i usually use a 7/0 hook .

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

gidday Giller-12 oclock lunchtime today -best elle fight I ever had..sharp is more the hook size as you can see I snagged it in the cheek(quite common)as they seem to nuzzle the bait around, this was a size 8 or 9 hook..i use the same hook for rig..last year I used more a 7..to 8 old fashioned straight shank..seems to be a good size to bind the shrimp on..or the crab..I bind a wee morsel of squid and a another of mussel to that as well-that way Im covering the sight and taste themes..always been a fan of cocktails..cept when it comes to single malt whiskey…thanks and cheers ian :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Top looking ele ian.They put up a good scrap when they are that big.Let the fun begin.

yellowfin
    Participant

15lb is a good size, biggest on here that Ive seen so far, heard of monsters hitting close to 20!

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

this morning early while throwing greyboys back near (the fridge) spot..I snagged a big tired crab it flapped a tad strange in the half dark it was Darth Rigfighter himself..less a few limbs of course..now I know why some of you spell Baileys like that..

yellowfin
    Participant

It looks almost edible.I will bring the salad and single malt.

Giller
    Participant

Awesome,thank you.haven’t had a ele on for a couple years now so will be wanting to get out tomorrow morning for a few flicks.i was starting to second guess my hooks as was using between the 7 and 8 size and was thinking are they too big now or what as no hits over the last 4 weekends.usually target down at taumutu as is just around the corner from me.will post pic if i have any luck tomorrow,thank you for your advice and tips .

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yup socky thats what the 2ic “said Ill a bring de salad”-typical east coast yank she’ll eat anything with a crabby crust on it oops!-fergot to tell her bout the malt…bugga
    Good luck giller dont worry about your hook size its how you use it… :lol:

fishforpot
    Participant

I use 2/0’s …..and won many many prizes in comps with them … wouldnt use anything bigger than 4/0 which I bought when no 2’s were available , and I hate them lol

Had a few bent tho , a conger that probably won Kaikoura comp several years ago bent one , still landed it tho ….

Presenting the bait right makes a huge difference

yellowfin
    Participant

Smaller hook = smaller bait = less flavours being given off = bait harder to find. Would you agree? Obviously you don’t want the hook too big, but surely it doesn’t have to be that small?

fishforpot
    Participant

The bait is tied to the line above the hook …I often use a keeper hook of the same size ……especially if using crab baits

Hard to explain , but I have the meaty part of the hook exposed , so the fish doesnt have to chew thru the bait to reach the point of the hook …..

I dont want to catch 200lb sever gillers , the fish Im targeting only need small hooks

Giller
    Participant

good morning BF,whats the surf cond this morning ? would rather ask you than drive 15 min to see the sea has some huge dumping waves this morning.
    i guess last nights rain and wind would of made a mess of the sea and swells today .Hope to get out this morning if its fishable.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

shitty cold windy blowy snotty.lumpy sea…may improve this eve :grin:

Duckman
    Participant

yes the whole east coast is crappy, looks like it might be around for a few more days

Miliwolf
    Participant

Seems pleasant enough up here, but I am about 20km from the coast….

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.