latest catches july 2014-may2015

Posted By shark slayer On With 0 Comments

Tagged: 

This topic contains 39 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

shark slayer
    Participant

time for a new thread to start the year..got my first searun of the season last monday..5lb silvery as and scrappy as f@#k!..went out yesterday eve..hooked up 5th cast and dropped it at my feet..good fish aswel..thats fishing.. :grin:

Anonymous

Where was that mate?

shark slayer
    Participant

selwyn..not in huge numbers at the moment but there is some good fish lurking and they are still fresh..

Anonymous

Yeah we’ve been down a few nights now. Few silveries around. Caught a 3lb sea run and have seen lots of resident browns. Also caught a huge eel on the fly… not very fun, just wanted my fly back!

shark slayer
    Participant

it sucks when that happens..they hit spinners aswel..especialy lures with bright colours on them and the same with flies..although when theyre in numbers they will hit anything..its a nightmare when they get deeply hooked haha..there is a lack of bullys down there wich is weird…

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went up to the canals today, Tekapo was very quiet with lots of throw back sized salmon so went to Ohau C was still pretty quiet but managed a 3lb and a 10lb rainbow plus a 3lb salmon.

jamie
    Participant

just a quick question…please could someone give me some idea as to a couple of lures suitable for the rangitata gorge area…for trout. thanks in advance. or is tazis and tobys as good as any??

troutfishernz
    Participant

Storm softplasics worked great last time I was up there between the gorge and Mesopotamia. Ive gone of using traditional hardware like tobys and ticers etc as softplastics are far more effective and only $3 each.

jamie
    Participant

thanks for this good information,

I am keen for some back country fly fishing…can someone direct me as to where some good locations are?? 1 – 2hrs driving from Timaru…ready for the new season.

shark slayer
    Participant

figure it out for yourself it’s alot funner and more rewarding that way..plus you will stumble on to some unfished or lightly fished areas thru exploration..just check out google earth and then go searching..if you ask people for spots all the time your always going to be fishing the same old boring thrashed out spots..who wants to do that!?!?

troutfishernz
    Participant

fished opihi mouth this evening, freezing cold wind, managed 2 flounders and one small searun plus lost a decent sized rainbow.

jamie
    Participant

fished opihi sat morning first light..landed 2.5pnd brown then 4pnd rainbow!..massive fight big runs in deep water,

shark slayer
    Participant

went out today myself..hooked 2 sea runs on the fly lost one landed one..a 4lb jack..would of been heavier but was fairly slabby..was stoked to get a searun on my own tied grey ghosts..interesting you guys are hooking bows at the estaurine area at the opihi..there are not huge numbers in there were they clean silver?

yellowfin
    Participant

Grey Ghosts work very well on salmon in the canals. Two older blokes fishing next to me one day were catching fish after fish on them. Catching fish on your own flies; you can’t beat it! :grin:

shark slayer
    Participant

couldnt agree more allan ..went out yesterday eve..hooked 2 sea runs dropped one landed one..almost a carbon copy of the one the other day but in better condition…released to fight another day..the wind was annoying so fished softies instead of the fly..the second one hit just as the softie landed on the water.. click the bail arm over and your in.. 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members