Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    fishsnatcher
    Participant

Nice fish! Looks about 4-5lbs? Put up a nice fight?
    I’ve heard a few tales of whitebait turning up early along the otago coastal waters…

St_Paul
    Participant

just a tad under 5. Put up a nice wee tussle and was delicious! Have seen a few small shoals of bait coming up the wairau over the last few weeks. looks like rain will bring the water levels up over the next few days.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Yeeha white bait time what follows them ky and sea runners I’m in roll on spring!!!

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Been down south for a week did a it of fishing down by some whitebaiters at the waiau river mouth, tried everything, whitebait patterns on fly rod, live smelt, spinning with varius lures, got 5 trout but all under a pound. :?
    Spotted a possible double figure brown lurking under a bridge in a small stream and I cast a veltec on my spin rod; got him on ; and the hook pinged out after thirty seconds, then the snap lock opened and I lost the lure. :evil:
    Fished the Aparima and spotted 8-9 good trout in some large backwashes, but kept bumbling about and spooking them, finally after stalking one I managed to get a take on a damsel nymph , but again the hook pinged out :evil: :evil:

On the way back to Dunedin, fished the Mataura, stacks of tout rising to large black/dark brown maflies but the floating coating on my floating airflo leader kept slipping free of the mono core and kept coiling whenever I made a cast. So out came the spin rod and got a lovely 3lb brown on a veltec. Very energetic plenty of jumps great way to end the trip and restore my faith in my fish catching abilities :grin:

Jackfish
    Participant

Did you try to straighten the leader by hand? By streaching it?

Yakkaman
    Participant

I went to pearson with 4 others last weekend b4 the lake closed,perfect day no wind lake was like a mirror manage 1 3lbder like a rugby ball really good fight well conditioned so roll on Summer.

Hey Jackfish book out November Okiwi Bay salt water fly dude snapper goes off there google the area, even if you have 2 paddle to rocks,then fly from there I will be doing the same.

Miliwolf
    Participant

What rocks would those be????

Could be worthwhile to fly fish off a small sand bar at hobbs bay (evening or dawn). Or maybe Goat point.

From memory the area where golly got onto all of his Snapper is quite bluffy at high tide with shallow rocky, kelpy beaches at low :???:

In saying that, I have never been out there with the intention to go fly fishing so potential spots might be quite common. Anything inside of Moukirikiri Island is within easy paddling distance for a day trip. If you really determined the further islands and the heads would be a option but I never had made the effort.

The Gurnards are currently about, have heard no reports of Snapper.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Jackfish

Jackfish
    Participant

Perhaps at some stage you pulled the coating away from the mono core when streaching it by hand. I only use a flosting polyleader when fishing a leader of around 25 feet. If you are a beginner a ordinary 9 foot tapered mono leader would be best to learn with.

Those trout in the mataura would have been rising to Deleatidium mayflies, you need to have a near perfect imatation of the emerging insects to succesfully fish a mataura hatch

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Me with an evil grin and a nice 6lb rainbow from Tomahawk, caught on a doll fly. :)
    http://img253.imageshack.us/i/tomahawktrout.jpg/

lalandi
    Participant

What a pretty Trout Fishsnatcher!!!!! Nice one!

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Probably one of the trout released about a month ago, it spooled half my backing and cut my finger in the process :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Hooked a couple of 1.5-2lb trout in the Wairau this morning… Caught both on my “not so” secret weapon. Tried a few minnow lures to start with but I knew what the trout wanted.

Nice morning.

Jackfish
    Participant

Caught this 8 pounder the other day

fishsnatcher
    Participant

From what I can see it looks like a nice bow! Could you upload the full image to imageshack.com or similar site and then post the URL?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.