Latest Catches

Posted By fishsnatcher On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 588 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  fishsnatcher 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 589 total)
  • Author

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Im gonna get a bit of fly fishing in on the Makarora this Friday/Saturday looking forward to cast a line in new territory :grin:
    I’ll also be spending some time at the clutha outlet and I’ll probably walk down further towards Albert town for a flick in the fly fishing only section.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Got a chance to check out one of my favourite little rivers today (Have not fished it since opening day), Spent 4 hours fishing. In the bottom beat I saw 2 trout, and none in the top beat. This river never holds large number of fish but I was expecting more then what I saw. The fish were also extremely wary and I did not even get a cast off.

Hope I have better luck when I venture up another of my little rivers

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Well I only caught one fish on the Makarora….here it is, all 8.5lbs of it :grin: :grin: :grin:
    Though I have to say my face rather lets the photo down, and I’m sure there are a million or 2 smart comments to say about that :lol:
    Got on spinning rod, treated this fella carefully and release him.

Jackfish
    Participant

Well done mate

That big fella looks like he’s swam into afew rocks in his time :razz:

Anyway, went to my secret stream this morning, had my best day every on it :grin:
    I caught two 1 1/2 pounders, a 2 1/2 pounder, a 3 pounder and beaut 6 pounder.

All on the old pheasant tail and released to fight another day :smile:

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Sounds like a nice trip you can take me to that stream any time :lol:

I would loved to have got my 8.5lb’er on the fly rod but I’m not confident enough with casting in the gales that were whistling down the valley while I was there.

Jackfish
    Participant

Throw tight loops and don’t shoot any line.

I’m getting my fff casting instructors badge at the start of next year :smile:

I’ll take you to my stream if you take me to one of yours
    8)

fishsnatcher
    Participant

[quote:1qh9wi99]Throw tight loops and don’t shoot any line. Ha, I have been trying to shoot line the whole time, been doing Ok with casting but I was always trying to shoot line then I would stuff up.

[quote:1qh9wi99]I’ll take you to my stream if you take me to one of yours

Nice, the Otago Anglers club aren’t doing a Junior Club this year, and I don’t think they did last year either, not enough people.

[quote:1qh9wi99]I’ll take you to my stream if you take me to one of yours

Give my PM if your ever in the area.

Jackfish
    Participant

I’m the only junior in the cantabury fly fishing club :?

fishsnatcher
    Participant

It’s a shame, I bet more people would get into fishing if they had the opportunity.

Jackfish
    Participant

A 4.5 pounder from a recent holiday

Miliwolf
    Participant

A few weeks back I said “I am going to fly fish two of my favorite rivers before the end of the season and post the results here minus river names I am also going to catch a fish bigger then 6lb”

Well, I have already mentioned the first river, today I was up at 6am and off to fish the second. The carpark was empty so I had the river to myself :P There were a few real beauties in this river but all the trout were extremely shy, even the smallest glimpse of a person or flyline would put them of their feed. To make matters worst the river was low and very clear.

My casting was less then perfect, but towards the end of the day I managed to trick a nice 6lb+ brown into taking a twilight beauty fly :) I am pleased that I manage to catch a fish under such challenging conditions. I probably watched that trout patrol his pond for a good 20 minutes before sitting up the trap,

So I did manage to catch a fish bigger then 6lb, it was probably only 6.2lb but that is still bigger 8)

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Got a nice 4lb rainbow out of Tomahawk for the smoker tomorrow night. :)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Caught five baby trout on the spinner today in the wairau.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

They are a pain to get off the hook, especialy if your using trebbles, I once got a baby that half swallowed a single and had it poking out it’s eye-socket

Miliwolf
    Participant

A couple were difficult, the others manage to drop off right at my feet which was good of them. They look the perfect size for snapper bait…… :twisted:

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 589 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members