Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Got this searun a few weeks back. Best of the season for me so far.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Been seeing a few residents as well, this was one of 3 from last night and weighed in at 5.5lb.

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice fish.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Cheers Johnny. Thanks for the net job and the camera skills !

Anonymous
    Inactive

1 of 2 fish from last night quick photo then released.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Nice fish guys.
    had a quick fish in the Opihi at lunch time,second cast and got this fat 3lber on softbait then left.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished Opihi Mouth this morning, Got this Big Mullet and 3lb Searun :grin:

shark slayer
    Participant

nice fish troutfisher..that mullet will be beutifull eating..taken on a softy i assume?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah both fish taken on 3inch gulp minnow. Covered the Mullet in Flour and fried it whole Very nice eating but lots of bones.

yellowfin
    Participant

Getting that big mullet on a 3 inch Gulp is pretty cool.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m going up to the rangitata gorge in a couple of weeks. Any one know what lures work best up there and what fly’s 2 use?

troutfishernz
    Participant

haven’t been up there for a year or so but last time I was there just fished about Halfway between the gorge and mesopotamia at the fish and game access point and got some good rainbow trout in the braids on storm Softplastics

Miliwolf
    Participant

This last weekend I went on my first proper fly fishing trip for trout of the Season. I arrived at my mountain tarns to fairly poor conditions, with large clumps of cloud and gusty swift breeze making spotting difficult. First day, was hard going, and the few takes I managed to get were lost due to my over eager strike. The highlight of the day was sharing the lake with this lovely couple, they spent much of the time diving in search of a feed. Glad to see more of them turning up in Marlborough. So I returned to camp without landing any fish.

“>

Spent the evening taking photos rather then fishing.
    “>
    “>

The next day, started much better and it was pleasant, wam and calm. I probably should have returned to the tarns because they have proven productive in the past, but instead I decided to hit the river. Spotted a very nice trout (est 7-8lb) at the first place I stopped. So snack down behind it and started casting, was just about to give up when I saw it speeding downstream after my dry… then it saw me and darted away :| So I continued fishing pocket water further upstream, and a deep gut looked to tempting not to blind fishing, after a dozen or so casts I glimpsed a trout feeding in there… a dozen more and he was on. So I landed my first fly caught trout of the season. Fishing further upstream proved unproductive so returned to the cat for lunch.

“>
    “>
    Trout food

After lunch I drove downstream and hit the pocket water again, lost a trout in the first pocket water.. but a bet further upstream spied a snake resting in front of a large boulder. I normally do not bother them, but was so close decided to flick a nymph right on its mouth which it grabbed. So landed my first fly caught Snake of the season. More trout followed and the day was quite successful by my standards. At one stage I thought I snagged my line behind me, so gave it a powerful forward cast and a fingerling went flying in front of me :shock: Released the poor thing and it seemed fine.

“>
    First fly caught Trout of the season.

“>
    First fly caught Snake of the season. (Sorry for crappy phone photo, was fishing pocket water and was not brave enough to bring my good camera)

elmo22
    Participant

great photos, some nice fish and great scenery well done milwolf love the country side but don’t get out into much now

yellowfin
    Participant

Well done! Awesome pics.

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.