Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    gunnercoops
    Participant

just had a couple of nice searuns from the mak, biggest 4.5lb…..but I lost my rod and reel…just fekking dropped it…gone..just gone…so if anyone fishes out a abu rod and reel setup from below the mak bridges…i’ll buy ya a beer for it back!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Took some first timers to the canal yesterday nephew got a 10lb rainbow and two salmon 8lb and 11lb
    The 11lb fish put up the most amazing fight took almost 20min to land.
    I caught an 11.5lb bow and a nice salmon close to 10lb also.
    The kids had a great day and it was great to see them smiling still at 11pm when we got home to show their mums n dads their catches.
    Only one grump with the day tho at around 6pm a white 4wd rolls up and parks down beside where the kids were fishing …
    3 older gentiles get out and quickly set up their wares and proceed to muscle the two kids out of their spots
    After getting their attention with “oi you”! Several times
    I asked what gives you the right to come in and push a couple kids outta there spots?
    “they werent here when we got here i can tell you that” one replied
    I said probably went to get some bait from the car guys …which was parked 8-10m from where they were fishing
    “not our fault they went to get bait”
    I lost it i said you f old pricks move down or il come and make you move down your older and supposed to be sporting and supportive of these kids fishing and instead you come and nick their spots “not your fault they went to get bait”
    You old asshole piss off.
    They moved and let the kids fish and 2min after one boy hooked his 11lb salmon and made them all clear their gear downstream which one failed to do even after his mates and i asked him to wind in … He became tangled with the fish and said “i think ive got a fish on” he said SOME MOTHERS DO AV EM….
    first prize for fishing idiot of the month
    His bailarm was flicked and we landed the mighty tough salmon
    Woundup helping a family from chch with techniques and they caught their fish to take home too
    I was thanked with a venison burger
    Cheers

burkefish
    Participant

there always seems to be 1or 2 that think they have the right to shove young anglers away when they are in a good spot. getting that salmon after would stick it to them. unfortunately some like that never learn.

yellowfin
    Participant

Cheers burkefish

troutfishernz
    Participant

Called down to the Opihi on the way home just before and picked up a nice 2lb searun brown :smile: Plenty of bigger fish around too but would only follow the lure and not take.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yea there scrappy lil buggers tho eh!

yellowfin
    Participant

I caught my 119th trout for the season on Saturday during a remarkable 26 fish day, the 4th 20 plus day for the season..here’s some of the action
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUtty … Uj44XX3Ko4

Miliwolf
    Participant

Good going Thats 119 more then me for the season. I really should put a few hours in and catch a couple.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to canals yesterday put back 4-5 wee fish then at 530ish pm along cam 11 and 13lb fat as salmon and a nice 10lb bow fat as fat could be.
    Met up with a couple from Timaru and he managed a 15lb bow his biggest trout ever
    Caught on his gfs rod lol
    I still really enjoy canal fishing for the smiles and elation of people catching a monster
    Great effort great day

yellowfin
    Participant

I know this might not be the best place to ask this question but I see a lot of you guys are using braid and perhaps soft-baits for trout fishing. When sea-run trout fishing in the Waimakariri a typical lead head works fine in the slower water. However, for fishing the gut at Rakaia what do you recommend as a good rig for soft-plastics? Do you just use a heavier jig head, or do you add a “D” lead or barrel sinker up the line. What have you found to be an effective rig? How have you done using soft-baits for sea-runs? Thanks Allan

troutfishernz
    Participant

Cant comment on the Waimakariri or Rakiaia but normally in slower water ill use 1/8oz jigheads and in faster more turbulent waters ill use 1/4oz, I find with braid it sinks way faster than mono so you can use lighter jigheads.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for that. I have noticed that a lot of anglers are using braid and soft-plastics for sea-runs nowadays. I guess you could use the rig shown here: https://fishingmag.co.nz/Searun-Trou … ok-Rig.htm
    Just replace the feathered lures with two soft plastics using a couple of light-weight jig heads to hold the lures on. The lead up the line would take it down in the fast water of the Rakaia gut. Is anyone fishing a lure rod with two soft-baits instead of feathered lures?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished the Opihi this afternoon, Got a couple of searun browns around 2-3lb.

yellowfin
    Participant

Look at my eyyyyye sticking out bloooooarrr! Lol :P

kbel
    Participant

I went out on Friday evening between the two bridges at the Wiamak and used the two feathered lure method as suggested. :wink:
    It does work and I managed to catch and land a large flounder of all things.It took a small “parsons glory” fair and square in the corner of its mouth.
    Made for a yummy lunch yesterday on the BBQ.

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.