Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Jezza, nice fish. You look to be up where I used to live as a kid on Carnarvon St in Mornington/Belleknowes. Have you ever fished a little water out the back of Mahinerangi called Knights Dam? Used to get lots of trout there. I seam to remember 1 day between me and my grandad that we’d caught 4 before my dad had even set the BBQ up!

yellowfin
    Participant

haha Carnarvon St would be correct. Never been that way no, sounds interesting. looks like a very small bit of water, how long has it been since you were up that way?

Miliwolf
    Participant

5 trout caught today on streamers, biggest around 5lb.

Also caught one yesterday using jerkbaits from the shore.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went fishing at lake Tekapo this afternoon. Was blowing a gale NW but fished anyway. after about an or hour of fishing I hooked and lost a small fish then my friend hooked and lost a much bigger fish which took quite a bit of line. Went quiet after that with only a few follow ins so packed up and went home.

HIPP
    Participant

Went to Lake Lyndon last night, I landed two on the spin gear released asthey were small, two of my friends got one each too, but pretty small, still pretty cold upthere of an evening/night, but still very enjoyable.

Not much activity on the lake of any sort, it is the fullest i have seen it for quite sometime.

Cheers, Hipp

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went up to the canals today, Went to the Pukaki canal first and caught this 40cm Salmon/rainbow trout, Looks like a salmon but doesn’t have the “farm tail” and went gutted the flesh was a Pale Orange/Yellow colour like Trout.

Went and checked out Ohau B and C but nothing much being cought there so then went to the Tekapo canal below the Mt cook salmon farm and caught a heap of small salmon around 28-30cm which where released and lost a bigger one.

yellowfin
    Participant

tail and back markings look like a salmon, if they escape early enough they will have full tails, I got a 10lber with full tail once, great fighting fish.

I wonder if it could be a sockeye, there is a small population in Pukake, could explain the subtle differences.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah definitely is a sockeye salmon I completely forgot that there was Sockeyes in Pukaki that’s why I thought It might have been a Rainbow.

yellowfin
    Participant

troutfishernz

yellowfin
    Participant

Reached my goal for the year, another 4 searun brown trout this morning out of the Taieri River mouth brings my total to 100 (trout & salmon)

After being bed ridden for the most part of december to april and all of september with ankle serguries i set the goal in april and acheived it today.

will upload a pic once i top up my phone and retreive my photos.

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice fish – were they taken of softbaits? Yeh, Knights Dam was/is just a small water in the middle of nowhere but there were decent numbers of trout in there. Last time I was there was 1976 !

yellowfin
    Participant

went flyfishing at lake Benmore, caught a nice fish or 3lb or more. beautiful day until the wind came along and sent us home.

yellowfin
    Participant

Spent the afternoon on the Shag River, I had planned on going to the Waitaki for salmon, but called my trip short so I didnt drive all that way and disapoint myself with a dirty river.

Caught a nice 3.5lb brown on the fly, lost 3 others, one really nice one of 6lb or more, but my flyline knoted around my finger and it made quick work of my 5lb tippet.

i missed another 3 takes, and wasted a lot of time on the numerous big 8 to 10lb fish that were not interested or too easily spooked.

the one fish i did land put up an amazing fight, the fish was solidly built and put in more fight than any brown trout i have ever caught.

Mal
    Participant

Nice fish,good report J.

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a magic day yesterday, here’s some of the action :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … hZeKZi0VEk

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.