Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    baitman
    Participant

Wow cracking fish, what were you using? What are the most productive methods down there? I have only fished there in the day time.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi baitman – yeh a lovely fish. It was caught on twilight and it was blowing a gale down there last night – throwing rapalas and the like back at us. The water was also quite dirty – which it lends to be past the top huts. Ang was using a small black ticer with red markings on 1 side. The technique used was fantastic – As I say Ang doesn’t fish a lot and on the previous cast had got caught on weeds – so when the fish took it she thought the same – so gave a good yank – so hooked good. She then realised it was a fish so reeled in as fast as possible – continuously. Luckily I’d made sure the tension was right – so this fish was effectively being played on the reel’s clutch!

Only once the fish had been dragged by the clutch into the deep river bank did I get concerned for the 6lb line, so took over the rod and guided it back out to open water – it wasn’t going to be landed at that point. Ang took control of the net and it took 3 attempts to actually get the fish onto the bank.

I’ve fished there day and night many times and not caught anything like this. Tried all sorts of lures – from the bank and boat. Zilch. I’ve seen monsters jump clean clear of the water – I’ve seen them swim around my legs on the boat ramp. Zilch. My dear wife picks up a rod and inside 30 minutes has this lovely fish.

Funnily enough – I went down to the L2 a couple of weeks back and stopped off at Honby Outdoors on Carmen. My first time in there and bought a Rapala – it got me that 4lb trout posted above. I went back to the shop to say thanks and bought that small black ticer. It had sat in the car since and I thought it would be the ideal weight for Ang given the conditions – not too big or small – so took it out of the bag and bang. So I think Hornby Outdoors is my lucky tackle shop!

yellowfin
    Participant

Check out this big bugger.. Wish I could claim it but I Can’t!! Caught in the same area I believe! http://www.nzfishing.com/FishingWaters/ … Photos.htm

gunnercoops
    Participant

Great pic of the old trout…not a bad brownie either :)

baitman
    Participant

yup thats a monster alright make you wonder what lurking out at sea.
    Some of my best trout i have caught in the rakaia were caught on small black ticers.Generally i use them to fish the fast water where a toby would just plane to the surface, no current like that down there eh.
    I think a trip to the selwyn is in order and give my vibrax a crack.

yellowfin
    Participant

ggggeeeeeezzzzzzz

baitman
    Participant

what area is the best to fish at the selwyn clean/dirty water near upper or lower huts?

Liam
    Participant

Went down to the Selwyn last night was very quite, plenty of cockyabillys around.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished the eastern shore of lake Tekapo today, lake was choppy and discolored. 2nd cast cought a 35cm rainbow trout which was great fun on 4lb line, Then proceeded to hook and loose several fish and then loose 3 lures :mad:

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went up to lake Opuha this morning. After an hour or so I hooked and Lost a small brown around 1lb right at the bank then had a bigger fish grab my soft plastic but let go before I could set the hook. 4th time up there this season and haven’t even landed a fish yet :oops:

yellowfin
    Participant

Lake Mahinerangi last week.

first fish out of this lake to be over 4lb. quality fish up there this year, if you can get a day without the wind.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Nice fish Jezza.

have driven past Mahinerangi a few times but never bothered to fish it, Ive heard the fish out of there are excellent eating as they feed on the freshwater crayfish.

yellowfin
    Participant

they are among the beter eating browns, some of the best conditioned trout around. its just hard getting a break from the wind up there.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I received a pile of cheap Chinese made lures today, they were poor quality imitations of the ones Daiwa makes.

So I decided to troll one behind my Kayak and see how it performs. They are fairly large lures (about 15cm long), but estuary trout have no problem attacking even very large baits. The result was a decent size Sea run. For a control, I changed to a smaller Lucky Craft lure for about half the time which was untouched. So the $2 Chinese lure out fished the $30 Japanese lure.

yellowfin
    Participant

New PB for brown trout, not sure how heavy, but would be somewhere around 7 or 8lb.

Taieri Mouth.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.