Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    baitman
    Participant

Cheers mili

yellowfin
    Participant

Impressive fish baitman

troutfishernz
    Participant

Got this 4lb Salmon at the canals today, First cast with a soft plastic :grin:

My Friend got a 14lb Rainbow Trout which was taken on a good old Toby spinner.

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice fish mate. Did the trout put up a good fight?

troutfishernz
    Participant

It put up a very good fight, Jumped out of the water numerous times which surprised me as Ive never seen a big canal fish do that.
    took around 20mins to land on 8lb line.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went up to the Canals again today, Fished below the mt cook Salmon farm and was hooking up with salmon pretty much every cast using soft baits, Lost count of how many we caught. Most where around 1-4lb but I got one around 5lb which we kept, The rest were released. Called in to Lake Tekapo and caught 3 small Brown trout which were also released.

Anonymous
    Inactive

troutfishernz

troutfishernz
    Participant

Hi

I was using gulp 3 inch banana prawn softbaits with 1/6oz jigheads, A lot of people use 1/8 and even 1/12oz jigheads for a better softbait action but I find you cant cast them very far they don’t sink quick enough.

As for the time of day I think morning is the best time as most of the Salmon We caught were before lunch and then in the afternoon the fishing was much slower.

If your exclusively Targeting Salmon drive down past the mt cook Salmon farm a few kilometres down to where the canal widens into a small lake and fish just above the spillway gates as the salmon seem to congregate around this area, This is where we caught most of our Salmon.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thats a mighty looking Brownie!!!

Took my Kayak out to the mouth for the first time today, put the 3″ gulps to the test while drifting the tide, came up with a nice 4lb jack and 3lb Hen at around mid day.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah well done Jezza. Was that at Tiaere mouth?

yellowfin
    Participant

Warburto

yellowfin
    Participant

another today

Miliwolf
    Participant

Had to work today, so could not do a long trip. So had a look up a local stream to make sure the trout were well trained before St_Paul tried for them. The lower sections were fairly barren so moved further up. This stream holds okay numbers of Rainbows and Browns, a few of decent size. Still standing in the carpark I noticed a small trout halfway across the main pool, hooked him first cast. A few jumps and the small Rainbow was released to grow bigger. A few more steps and I noticed a larger Trout with 4-5 small ones following it around, a cast or two and the larger trout grabbed the dry fly. Another Rainbow and it was soon landed. Then I moved upriver a bit, but only spooked one decent size brown from the shallows. Back to the car park pool and I hooked another feisty small trout but it was a brown. Was a fun 30 minutes.

On yeah, the larger Rainbow had a fresh wound in its mouth. I suspect a mate of mine might have caught it yesterday.

I have decided to keep tally on how many trout I catch this Season, should be embarrassing.
    Total for Season: 4

yellowfin
    Participant

Lake Mahinarangi today, Wind was terrible.

still found some sheltered spots, landed 2, 2.5 and 3lb brownies.

almost landed 3 others, but the wind made it difficult to set the hooks well.

had a wander along the Waipori river with my flyrod after I had had enough of the wind.

saw one decent fish, but could not access him though the scrub.

baitman
    Participant

The selwyn was better to me today a couple of nicely spotted brownies

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.